two cards on NT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two cards on NT?

I know I look pathetic with my trusty old Millennium 2 when everybody is using g200, g400 and such.

Anyway, I'm happy with what I've got and I use it for graphics work I do every day on my NT box. I can't afford to buy dualhead but I'd like to have two monitors on my system - on for regular pic and other with permanent zoom for my photoshop work. I know in w98 there is supposed to be support for two cards but I can't switch to w98 (actually I don't want to).

So, my question is: if I have two Millennium 2 cards (which I have) can I use both of them on my NT system for the purpose I described? I think that proabably not but hey, perhaps I've missed some important driver updates of FAQ or something.

Don't flame me for asking stupid question.

I remember reading about multiple cards in the driver txt file for Win NT.
    You can put in ur 2nd card and see if that works or the driver recognize it .. you have nothing to loose.
    You can even remove ur monitor from the 1st card and connect it to the 2nd one .. or better borrow a monitor from a friend b4 u buy a new one to see how it works.
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Ayee, got it working

I updated both cards BIOS to 1.5 and after that it was working flawlessly. Plugged both cards in, restarted and there it was. Well, almost, had to tweak few options though.

Drawback is that at least under NT I only can use the space as one big desktop (currently 2048x768) and I have to use same resolution and color depth on both monitors. This restrics me to the capabilities of weaker monitor - I have 17" Hitachi cm643et & 15" Hitachi cm500et. I can, however use different refresh rates. Also powerdesk has some problems with handling all the windows and dialogs properly despite my configration options but thats really a minor glitch.

Also, DirectDraw refuses to work, drops out with errors but everything else seems pretty much happy living on two cards.

Still working on that zoom thing. Pixeltouch works nice on one card at the time but i can't have it permanently on one and regular on other monitor. Perhaps I'll grab some freeware loupe/zoom programs and experiment with them.

Comment

My ex-machine was a dual ppro 200 with 2 millennium II, running NT4. It was nice. It took me a while (several minutes) to understand the configuration panel and get the two monitors to work though...

NT only supports 1 display, but Matrox got around that limitation by providing 1 display driver for 2 (or more) monitors. win98 supports multiple display drivers at least.

Matrox is full of hidden qualities, like the old Toyotas.

[This message has been edited by Salmonius (edited 25 July 2000).]
        Salmonius

Comment

Working...
        X