Fixing Marvel G200 IRQ with VIA MVP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Marvel G200 IRQ with VIA MVP3

I have been frustrated with the IRQ setting of my Marvel G200, since it would never be set to IRQ 11 as I believe it should be. I found a simple fix to the problem for my PA-2013 motherboard-based system with VIA MVP3 Chipset and Award BIOS. This procedure assumes that you have the most current Award BIOS, Windows 98SE, and VIA 4-in-1 Chipset patches for your system. Similar settings may work with other BIOSes and OSes.

In the BIOS under PCI settings, change configuration from Auto to Manual. Change IRQ 11 from PNP to Legacy/ISA. Make sure that "Assign IRQ to VGA" is DISABLED, NOT enabled! Changing IRQ 11 to Legacy/ISA prevents this IRQ from being used by other devices, and disabling the VGA IRQ assignment lets Windows 98SE auto assign the IRQ (which it will assign to 11 since no devices are using it). In Windows 98SE, make sure that the PCI Bus setting (under the System Devices listing) is set to Default settings, so that Hardward Device Enumeration is used and IRQ Steering is enabled.

I hope that this procedure saves you as much frustration as it has saved me. I discovered this after a lot of aggrevation, trial, and error. My system is solid and very reliable as configured below:

Motherboard: FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 E-O036 with 2MB Cache
    Chipset: VIA MVP3 (not so bad any more)
    BIOS: Award JI438 from FIC
    Memory: 128 MB PC100
    CPU: AMD K6-2 450 @500 - runs cool
    Video: Matrox Marvel G200 AGP 16 MB RAM with fan mounted on heat sink (not overclocked)
    Sound: Diamond Monster MX300 PCI with Aureal 4.06.2048 drivers (not Diamond drivers) and Soundblaster Pro Emulation disabled to save an IRQ
    IDE Controller: Promise Ultra 66 PCI with 2-7200 RPM ATA66 drives - each as Master on their own channel
    Modem: USR 56K Voice PCI Hardware Modem
    USB: IS DISABLED! I don't care what VIA says, my system is rock solid without it and it saves me an IRQ.
    Network: SMC Ultra 16 ISA Ethernet
    SCSI: UMAX IS11 ISA
    Parallel port is enabled at IRQ7 and both serial ports are disabled.

Note: My system is using both the PCI and ISA slots of the shared PCI4/ISA1 slot (thanks to a modification to the cards that share the slots). PCI Slot 1 (next to AGP) is empty. The PCI device in PCI slot 4 will share an IRQ with USB if USB is enabled.

PowerDesk: 5.25 (if someone gets a newer version to work with their PA-2013 board and 3DMark2000, let me know), Bus Master Enabled.

Video Tools: 1.51
    Direct X: 7.0a
    VIA 4-in-1: 4.23 (each installed separately). AGP 4.03 is installed in Turbo mode.
    Video Capture: ULead MSE Pro 5.2
    All BIOS settings are set for maximum performance. Write Cache Pipeline and Read Around Write are both ENABLED. All Video and System BIOS Caching/Shadowing is Disabled. Memory timing is Turbo, Cycle Length 2. AGP Aperture 256M.

3DMark2000 Rating: 1450

My Marvel G200 AGP BIOS is 2.7-23.

Comment

Tony:

The latest PD 6.x betas will work fine for your rig if you hack the .inf file as outlined in several threads on this forum. Just search under "beta" or "PD6" or check on Ant's news page for the way to do it.

If you care to wait, the Official PD 6.x will be available here and elsewhere VERY soon.

Thanks for sharing your lonely experiences...keep checking in here for a wealth of additional info on how to keep your system happy with the crappy Via chipset(s). It will take many hours of tender loving care, but it can be done.
      Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
      CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
      Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Working...
      X