GeForce killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce killer

Check the new ATI Radeon at sharkyextreme, kicks GeForce ass far and wide !
    You're probably asking yourself why do I post it here.
    Well, I don't think matrox are going to release a gaming graphic card that will be slower than the competition, I guess/hope the G800 is going to be a real contender to the Radeon, it's going to be such a BLAST !!!
    Come on Matrox, don't keep us waiting too long, *everybody* (3dfx, nVIDIA, PowerVR and ATi) showed their greatest and latest, now it's your turn.

------------------
    Cloudy
    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
    Cloudy
    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Speaking of G800, this is from HARDOCP

Last year at Meltdown, Vertex Skinning was the next big thing. It offered a unique way to provide for smoothly bending limbs, which was a refreshing break from the blocky polygon movement we were used to. The next great advance in character movement comes with Matrix Palette Skinning. Dan Wood of Matrox gave the most notable Direct3D presentation this year, on Matrix Palette Skinning (MPS).

Will the G800 have MPS ???

------------------
    Cloudy
    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
    Cloudy

Comment

Here's some more on the subject:

Matrox

I didn’t get a chance to speak with anybody from Matrox last week, however, judging from the fact that they’re heavily promoting matrix palette shading (more details in the DirectX Technology section), it’s a safe bet to say that their next generation chip should feature 4-matrix vertex skinning. Last year Dan Wood, VP of Technical Marketing at Matrox, spoke about Environmental Mapped Bump Mapping (EMBM) at Meltdown in June, and in August, Matrox released the G400, whose flagship feature was, not surprisingly, EMBM. Seeing that Dan gave a talk on Matrix Palette Shading this year, and that Matrox is set to release a next-generation product this fall…well, I’ll let you do the math.

*check this out, they said "This fall"...

And a little more:

As the flagship product of DirectX, Direct3D usually takes the spotlight at Meltdown, and this year was no exception. Direct3D presentations covered a wide variety of DirectX 8 topics, ranging from texture compression to pixel shaders. Overall, I didn’t see too many demos that blew me away from an end-user perspective. Of note, 3dfx’s presentation on FSAA and discussion on how to implement T-buffer effects in DX8 was nice, since it signaled that we should be finally seeing some development for the T-buffer in the future.

Last year at Meltdown, Vertex Skinning was the next big thing. It offered a unique way to provide for smoothly bending limbs, which was a refreshing break from the blocky polygon movement we were used to. The next great advance in character movement comes with Matrix Palette Skinning. Dan Wood of Matrox gave the most notable Direct3D presentation this year, on Matrix Palette Skinning (MPS). MPS allows developers to assign up to four matrices per vertex to control the movement of an object. For example, in a character model, bones and muscles would all be indexed to a specific matrix. Each matrix has its own weight value, indicating how much its movement affects surrounding matrices, so when one matrix is moved, surrounding matrices move realistically. For example, when a character winks, we would expect one cheek to alter more so than the other. Furthermore, we wouldn’t expect the hair or upper forehead to change much at all. With the possibility for detailed skeletal animations, Matrix Palette Skinning opens up the potential for truly detailed character models.

With Matrix Palette Skinning, developers can effectively create incredibly detailed models that are easy to control, with the only drawback being that the models can be complicated to design. Nonetheless, once in place, their benefit is enormous, since MPS opens up the possibility for incredibly realistic facial expressions and reflexes. With gaming environments slowly approaching an acceptable level of realism, more realistic characters are the next logical step in gaming. Matrix Palette Skinning provides developers with a great method to improve character realism.

Visually, Matrix Palette Skinning is stunning. Everyone I talked with at Meltdown was quite enthusiastic about Matrix Palette Skinning. While opinions varied on when support for 4 matrices per vertex in hardware would be important varied, all 3D video card manufactures that I spoke with believed that it would become an essential feature for 3D games.

Hardware support is always an important concern for new 3D graphic technology, and Matrix Palette Skinning is no exception. Unfortunately, no current 3D hardware will be able to keep up with any well-implemented Matrix Palette Skinning. With a goal of 4 matrices per vertex, there’s a definite need for advanced T&L support. Expect next-generation T&L cards to offer 4-matrix vertex skinning. Currently, the GeForce2 GTS only offers a meager 2-matrices per vertex. Fortunately, ATI's Radeon chipset, which just hit the market, does support 4 matrices per vertex.

------------------
      Cloudy
      Cloudy

Comment

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Your cue for what?

Yeah, I read that on the website, and read about that stuff in DX8, but what does it mean to Matrox? I sure would like to know.

Rags

------------------
          Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

it means we are gonna be very happy MURCers!

jim

------------------
            Abit BE6-2 with P3 700(cb0) @ 7*150=1052 using an MC-1000!
            15.3 gb Maxtor ata66 and Twinmos 128mb pc-133 ram
            G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210 @ 2x
            Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
            384k DSL and Realtek nic
            Windows 98se with DX7a
            Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100 cas 2
            Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
            Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!

Comment

And if you want to read it from the original page, goto Extreme Hardware

(Inside question: Is this my cue, Matt? )

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I really hope you're right, DuRaNgO! Now would probably be a good time to start looking for a good nVidia sucker, er.., follower, to buy me GTS.

------------------
                Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

hehe, good things really do come to those who wait, as with my "new stepped" 700e
                  it's crying out for the g800 Plus
                  jim

------------------
                  Abit BE6-2 with P3 700(cb0) @ 7*150=1052 using an MC-1000!
                  15.3 gb Maxtor ata66 and Twinmos 128mb pc-133 ram
                  G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210 @ 2x
                  Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
                  384k DSL and Realtek nic
                  Windows 98se with DX7a
                  Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                  128mb pc-100 cas 2
                  Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                  Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                  SB Live!
                  Winblows 98se & DX7
                  and 384k DSL!

Comment

Working...
                  X