No announcement yet.

TwinView (NVIDIA) vs. DualHead (Matrox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TwinView (NVIDIA) vs. DualHead (Matrox)

So I guess there's one less reason to buy a Matrox card now?

<A HREF="http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g400/applications/dh_main.htm">DualHead</A>

<A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/Products/GeForce2MX.nsf/twinview.html">TwinView</A>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1266&p=6">AnandTech on TwinView</A>

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

the visuals STILL suck

------------------
    Abit BE6-2 with P3 700(cb0) @ 7*150=1052 using an MC-1000!
    15.3 gb Maxtor ata66 and Twinmos 128mb pc-133 ram
    G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210 @ 2x
    Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
    384k DSL and Realtek nic
    Windows 98se with DX7a
    Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100 cas 2
    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    and 384k DSL!

Comment

I like Matrox way of doing things.

No matter what are doing other, I am waiting for a new Matrox card.

------------------
      Italian Guy, Bad English

D'ya want an Italian version?

Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

no, it's one more reason...

Maybe this is the reason Matrox sued nVidia. And after what nVidia has been doing, we need to give Matrox all the support we can. Who would like to support a - soon-to-be-Intel (like it was 2 years ago)/Microsoft anyway?

------------------
        - What do you get when you put N nVidia whores in a circle and each one pats the person on their right on the back and says "nVidia wins 3dfx and Michael Knight any day of the week!" ?

- You get N people with a boosted ego, and no-one loses anything; keep up the good work, boys!

Comment

Even if this were a pro-Matrox article, I stopped putting any weight in Anand's stuff a long time ago. That kid doesn't really know what he's doing.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't think that the twinhead is even working or else that mama's boy would have said something about it.

SwAmPy

Comment

MATROX im with you !....go get the Nshitia bastards !..thiefs !!!

they will never reach MATROX quality of video out..
              PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

The main difference I see between G450 Dualhead and G2MX Twinview is that G450 has integrated second RAMDAC and G2MX needs second external RAMDAC for second CRT monitor. Does anyone know the implications? I think that integrated will provide better 2D, and I also care about W2K compatibility (how it deals with internal/external 2nd RAMDAC).

Also G2MX with 2CRT capability will cost too much in my opinion, and since I saw G450 16mb PCI FOR ONLY 52$ (wake me up), I know, what I'll buy.

Comment

Has anyone heard about how TwinView will work under Win2k? I'm finding an unfortunate lack of information on that topic. Also, is the PCI MX part able to run Multi-mon with an AGP card? It sure would be nice to pair off a nice DualView 3D card with my Max... mmmm... 4 monitors...

While I may be annoyed at the lack of Win2k info on the MX, I am much happier with Nvidia's lack of information then Matrox's misinformation as to their products fitness under Win2k.

C=64

Comment

Windows 2000 SP1 is supposed to be out today.

• Box 2:
                    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
                    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
                    • memory: 32 MB
                    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Comment

"That kid doesn't really know what he's doing."
                      Tell that to his agent (the same agent that TOM has and Sharky) that helped him clear over 6 million last year...
                      ANANDTech is a great site I read it everyday. I do not agree with everything I read there but then I have MY OWN opinions too like you guys...And I perfer MATROX also of course.

Comment

From the nVidia marketing blurb:
                        Previously, dual display support required ample power, multiple graphics cards, and sufficient slot space.(empasis mine.)
                        Oh, <font size=4><u>REALLY</u>???</font>

Who knew??

But seriously, can we really say that TwinView is theft? I mean, Win98 has supported multiple monitor output since its inception; it was only a matter of time before more videocard makers began to use the feature, especially since it was such a good selling point for Matrox.

I myself wouldn't buy nVidia Ge-whatever simply because it now features DualH... errr, *cough*TwinView*cough*, but I can see how it's a great thing for nVidia's customer base, and might steal a lot of first-timers as well, since Matrox's advertising leaves a lot to be desired in the area of name recognition among the general populace.

It's just competition, it seems to me.

-----------------------------
                        Holly

Comment

Hi LAMF,

ANANDTech is a great site I read it everyday.
                          I used to read his site quite often, but even then, I couldn't read it everyday, especially since the mainpage is updated maybe once or twice a week, except of course for the news scoupes, of which I already caught on the dozen or so other sites out there that are more worthy of my time. So by the time I get to his site, there is nothing there. Okay, motherboard review this day, three days later, another motherboard review. Another week later, check out my revised motherboard review where I was shown I messed up several different things/and/or the manufacturer had a different driver/bios/procedure that I didn't use/follow. Couple days later, I have my third GeSpot review this month this time on brand x's. Couple of days later, I have a review posted on a roundup of all GeSpots.

I mean, YAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!!!!! What happened to the old days of "one of my friends/contacts slipped me this engineering sample of an AMD sharptooth, and AMD told me not to do it, but what the hell, here is a sneek peek at it " His site has less zip than a stick of celery, combine that with 45+(!!!) page reviews of the same ol' same ol', and his "site" really begins to become VERY un attractive for more and more people.

Rags

------------------
                          Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I found out how NVIDIA implemented "TwinView"... it (Ge)forces you II cross your eyes!
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hehe, that's a gooood one

jim

------------------
                              Abit BE6-2 with P3 700(cb0) @ 7*150=1052 using an MC-1000!
                              15.3 gb Maxtor ata66 and Twinmos 128mb pc-133 ram
                              G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210 @ 2x
                              Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
                              384k DSL and Realtek nic
                              Windows 98se with DX7a
                              Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                              128mb pc-100 cas 2
                              Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                              Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                              SB Live!
                              Winblows 98se & DX7
                              and 384k DSL!

Comment

Working...
                              X