X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 Final Date!

As found on Ant's MURC News pages:
    <hr>
    Here's the latest on the G450 gleaned by Francis De Rico after talking to the Matrox sales force.

1 - The Millennium G450 products are expected to being shipping to system integrators starting near the end of August. Full retail products should begin shipping near October.

2 - It has not yet been confirmed whether the Millennium G450 will support the Rainbow Runner G-Series upgrade. As well, initial information points to similar performance between the Millennium G400 Series and the upcoming G450 products. The Millennium G400 MAX is expected to remain the fastest of the Matrox products.

3 - There have been no plans to discontinue to the current Marvel G400-TV and no information has been released regarding a TV-product using the G450 chipset.

Pricing has not been released yet, although it is logical to assume that since they are aimed mostly at system integrators, they should be priced lower than the current Millennium G400 cards.

Well I suppose shipping near October means the end of Septemberish so it will squeeze, just, into the end of Q3 2000 timeframe as promised. Forget the G450, bring on the G800!

<hr>
    Jord
    Jordâ„¢

Zzzz..

Comment

Hmm, performance less than the G400MAX? Isn't the G400 a year and a half old? G400MAX is already behind the first GeForce SDR which if memory serves, came out last November?? Still it is probably good enough, but the Gforce 2MX is looking better and better with the Twin View option. Even if it is $200 to begin with, that'll buy a lot better overall performance than a MAX, 'course I can't speak to visual quality... And the Nvidia cards seem to drop in price rather quickly, whereas in the past six months I have yet to see the G400MAX drop even $10! Hmm. Wonder if ATI is cooking anything up with dual output....

Aaron

Comment

If they say "should begin shipping near October", then I would guess about November 28th (cos thats my Birthday )

It would be unlike Matrox to release anything before the very last day they could.

It also sounds like the G450 will be a very slow, very cheap card. Probably cheaper than anything else on the market (aka i740 ish).

We have to hope they will release the G450 Fusion at the same time (assuming that it 2Xg450 chips). Even that will only be about the speed of a Geforce 1 DDR at a guess.

Looks like Matrox might be falling behind a little. Sad to see, but someone has to start making cheap boards again.

Just my thoughts

Ali

Comment

Matrox does not have to release newly designed chips every 6-8 months. They have built a solid customer base because of their image quality, reliability, and innovative engineering. They have found a niche in the marketplace, and it is not in the high end gaming arena. While they do not want to ignore this sector of the buying public, they do not gear their cards specifically for them. G450 being a prime example. Again I do believe that the G800 will be a very nice leap forward in terms of speed and features, ala the G200 -> G400 , however the card will not be the performance champ, and you know what? Matrox's customers won't care.

------------------
          Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

What do they mean when they say "pricing not determined"? Prices for some of the G450s are already online. 112$ for 16mb AGP, 46-52$ for 16mb PCI.

Comment

Yeah, the G450 sounds pretty boring......great for businesses though, no more trident cards :P

However, one can preorder a Geforce2 MX for $115 + shipping...........
              http://www.evga.com/welcome/index.ihtml#mx

--------------------
              ABIT BF6, Pentium III Katmai 450-&gt;645MHz, 192MB SDRAM, Toshiba 6X DVD, Quantum Fireball Plus KA, Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive, Enlight 7237 Case, 300watt PCPC TurboCool PS, and some fun with a Dremel!
              Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 08:52.

Comment

So, we gonna start another countdown like with the OGL drivers before?

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

dneal, that $115 is for a card without twin view or even TV out, the ones with that are $150 to $200, makes it a toss up whether to get one of those and overclock it or get a DDR and overclock it.

Comment

Dualbuzz, you can't trust price quotes on-line for non-shipping product, or even out of stock shipping product. These web retailers typically post a low-ball price to attract a large number of orders and then wave that in front of the manufacturers in order to get a favorable deal. That doesn't mean they'll be able to strike a deal or that you'll be able to purchase the card at that price. Many people here waited forever to get their Max on-line before giving up and buying direct from Matrox.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                    X