Nice to know Matrox is still #1..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to know Matrox is still #1..

IBM is apparently working on a new type of monitor (Roentgen Active Matrix LCD's) which offer a resolution of 200ppi (pixels/inch) with a total of 5.2 million pixels on a 2560x2048 grid. You can read the article right here:
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn...2hnmonitor.xml

Not surprisingly, they're using Matrox cards to run it. I'm guessing the G200MMS judging by the quad head config.

"When we built it, the graphics cards became a problem. In our prototype, we are using four graphics cards, and the display has been electronically built with four stripes [each running off one graphics card]," Greier said. "In the production version, we will use a single graphics card. Matrox already has a four-head graphics card, designed to run multiple displays. We will use it for a single display."
    I have to wonder for how long Matrox will stay the king of 2D, given NVidia's rapid clean up in that area..

Regards,
    Storm.
    P60-120Thz, 256Tb ram, 27.5Pb 225000 RPM HD, 142" .001 dot pitch monitor @ 30720x23040x64, Matrox G24000 w/512Gb, SB UltraLive2, DX120 beta, Win2112 SP4. Hey -- beta testers have their advantages...

This is relatively exciting. It reminds me a certain experience I had last year.

At work, we have some big monitors. They do 2048x2048. They are huge and cost several times what seems to indicated in the article.

Anyway, because the company that made the video card didn't update their drivers after they stopped existing, I wanted to see what possible alternatives were available. The cards were obsenely expensive so I decided to shop around. I called Matrox to enquire about the g200 SE (or something like that) which did high resolutions.

Unfortunately, Matrox didn't support Solaris or at least Linux, nor that high resolution that I required anyway.

I was a bit disappointed.

It's fun to see some competition in the market of big displays. That one from IBM seems much cheaper and won't require four able man to move it around.

Very interesting indeed. I just hope that Matrox will start supporting UNIX more. Probably, because it's IBM.

Salmonius

Comment

Working...
    X