Win2k Dualhead driving me insane...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Dualhead driving me insane...

Okay, maybe someone can provide some input on this...

I have a Matrox G400Max with an Acer76i 17" primary monitor and a Dell ES-17 17" secondary monitor. According to documented specs, both monitors are capable of 1280x1024 resolutions, and seperately each one can achieve that resolution. All of this is in Win2k.

Once I enable Dualhead, the second display becomes a 'PlugNPlay monitor' with 1024x768 resolution in the DualHead options screen of the Advanced settings area, and the regular Display settings option allows for up to 2048x768, which is one step lower than I believe I SHOULD be able to go (2560x1024), if I'm doing the math right.

No matter what generic or specific drivers I assign to the primary monitor, the Matrox card refuses to see the second monitor as anything else, and therefore limits me from an otherwise achievable resolution.

For that matter, even Windows Millennium doesn't hit the 1280x1024 on the second monitor, even though it works fine as the primary monitor.

Here is the weird thing: if I disable Dualhead in either Win2k or WinMe, unplug the second monitor, restart, plug the second monitor back in and enable Dualhead, for that session it will see nothing but a default monitor on the second head and let me choose the resolution I'm shooting for wihtout any problems. Once I restart, I'm back to my original scenario.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to override or otherwise confuse what the Matrox card is detecting on the secondary display so I can achieve on a REGULAR basis what I've seen work?

Thanx in advance for anyone's input or suggestions!

NotDJK,

have you defined your primary monitor as a 1280x1024 monitor? 2560x1024 is the resolution that i am using...with no problems!

i have a 21" panasonic on the primary and a samsung 770 tft(17") on the secondary. the panasonic is capable of 1600x1280, but the samsung is not(..max 1280x1024). in win2k you are limited to the least capable monitor. win2k detected the capabilities automatically of the second monitor. device manager only list 1 monitor, and it is a "super vga 1280x1024 @75 HZ".

i had, on a fresh install, to delete the plug-and-play monitor that was detected and install the generic super vga driver for the targeted setting that i wanted(..1280x1024), then turn on dual-head > multi-display and presto!!! ...2560x1024.

like i said, device manager only list the primary monitor!

chucky

Comment

Thanx...I tried switching the monitors as primary and secondary, and Win2k liked the Acer as a secondary with 1280x1024 capabilities, so this is cool. WinMe still doesn't see the Dell with 1280x1024 capabilities (even though it obviously works) but oh well.

Because my Acer has a little better (crisper) image quality, I might switch them back and see if I can replicate your method to get things running...

Thanx again!

Comment

If your Dell is being detected as 1024 even if it's all alone on the primary, then that Dell monitor has an Edid problem.

The only way to bypass the ddc detection is by doing what you did - unplug and plug.

You can allways cut out the ddc pins on your monitor but that may be a bit drastic

Haig

Comment

Working...
        X