X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No color with output to TV on G400???

Here's a strange one...

Problem with G400 Dual head, I think.

When I use the Clone or DVD Max options to output my screen to the TV via S-Video, I only get black & white, no color. What makes this strange is that the color is there if I hook it up to a different TV.

Sounds like a possible problem with the 1st TV, right? Well maybe not, what makes this even more strange, is that when I plug a dvd player into the 1st TV, the color is there, so it's not a problem with the 1st TV.

Tried different versions of drivers- no change.

I don't know where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated.

Might be the DVDMax setting for broadcast standard (NTSC or PAL) is incompatible with your TV.

Comment

Nope, it´s a problem with the TV. Not really a problem, the TV just doesn´t support that s-video input. You just figured it out: if it displays color with another TV, it can´t be G400 problem.

I had the same problem and was really enlighed about the question some time ago, but honestly I forgot the technical details.

Do a search in the fori with this subject and you´ll find the detailed explanations I was given.

Comment

Nuno- That would make sense, but I'm not sure if there are differnet S-Video types. Are we saying that all S-Video devices are not 100% compatable??

In addition, this a brand new TV we are talking about (picked it up yesterday). I guess I could return it and use a different one, but that would be a big pain the the 'you know what'.

Is there any way to fix it besides using another TV??

Comment

Here, try: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004637.html
          http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005068.html

Comment

Thanks for the links Nuno. It seems in order to view in color with the G400 S-Video out, you must have a TV that does not auto detect the S-Video connection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the G400 S-Video out work with a TV that has the auto detect???

This seems like a capatibility issue where the problem is on the G400 side. Not trying to start a fire here, but I tried the same hookup with my LeadTek GTS2 and the color is there. Hummm....

I would much rather use the G400 to play my DVDs because the dual monitor thing is handy, but if I have to, I guess I would be forced to use the LeadTek.

Comment

Hi.

I still suspect you have a setup problem somewhere. I suppose you are using the same S-video lead in all of your tests, so going from the Matrox DH S-connector via an S-cable to an S-connector in your TV?

In this case, there are a few probable reasons:

1)Your TV expects Composite. Solution: configure the external connector of your TV for "S".
              2)Your TV expects NTSC or PAL and you send it PAL or NTSC. Solution: Correct in DH setup or in your TV setup.
              3)There is a number of "parallel" connectors in the back of your TV, e.g. a SCART and an S-connector, both connected to EXT1, for example. Solution: unplug the SCART (or move it to EXT2...) or select the "S-input" from TC config, if possible.

You may also have a cabling problem, some S-leads have too short contacts...

If you are using an S to SCART converter there is a number of other reasons...

M.
              year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Thanks for the reply Meek.

Yes- I am connecting from Matrox DH S-video out through a S-Video Cable to the S-Video connector on the TV.

I have two TV's to test with, one TV will show color the the other will not. The one that shows color is old and the v-sync is going.

On the back of the new TV that doesn't show color, there is one S-video input and a one SCART in parallel. I don't use the SCART so nothing is plugged in. The only thing connected is the S-Video.

I know the s-video on the TV works because I have a VCR S-video out that I plug into it to watch cable TV.

There are no settings in the TV menu to switch S-Video or SCART.

The cable that I test with is a Monster cable gold plated and I swapped it out once to make sure it wasn't a cable issue.

How do you configure the external connector of your TV for "S"???

Am I Still S.O.L.???

Comment

Saud, what you could try is relay the signal through a VCR, if you have one. My TV couldn't make out the S-Video signal either, but when I hooked up the G400 to my video, I had colour !!

Might work with you as well.

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I even had problems connecting the RCA to an old TV (no S-video). Had to run it through the VCR to make it work.

This is not to say it'll fix your problem, but it's worth a try to patch through your VCR. Only problem I had with that was the occasional Macrovision protection problem, but got around that easily enough.

b
                    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

You know, it's wierd, cause it's black & white every way I try it.

I ran it through my VCR's S-Video, still black & white.

I tried it though the RCA cable to the TV & tried it through the VCR's RCA, still black & white.

I tried routing the signal just about every way I could think of, still black & white.

It seems very much TV Dependent, cause one shows color, and the other does not.

But, the LeadTek GTS2 will give me a color signal, but I want to use the G400!?!?!

The new JVC TV & Matrox G400 just don't jive.

Comment

You can always try SCART.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You still haven't said that you've checked that you're using the correct TV Standard, I get no colour if I output in NTSC to my TV when it's set to PAL, my TV can be set to NTSC3.1, 4.3 (I think those are the numbers) and PAL but I just set it to auto and then depending on what I'm doing (whether I want high res or high refresh) I set the Clone to either.
                          P3 500 @ 600
                          256MB PC133 RAM
                          64MB PC100 RAM
                          Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                          Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                          WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                          G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                          Monster Sound MX400
                          512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                          Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                          ASUS P3B-F
                          Logitech X1 Speakers
                          Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                          Logitech Internet Keyboard
                          19.1G IBM 60GXP
                          8.4G Seagate
                          1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Thanks for the reply Werdna,

I'm pretty sure I tried that, but I double check.

I discovered that my monitor was going bad. It turned off every 10 minutes or so, like something was getting too hot. It totally died the other day so now I can't test anything till I get a new monitor.

But that's a good question; I wonder if a bad monitor could effect the output to the TV in this way. Could a bad monitor degrade the S-Video signal to make it so there is no color??? Hummmm....

Comment

I highly doubt that that would be the problem, although you computers can be weird sometimes.
                              P3 500 @ 600
                              256MB PC133 RAM
                              64MB PC100 RAM
                              Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                              Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                              WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                              G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                              Monster Sound MX400
                              512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                              Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                              ASUS P3B-F
                              Logitech X1 Speakers
                              Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                              Logitech Internet Keyboard
                              19.1G IBM 60GXP
                              8.4G Seagate
                              1.57G Fujitsu

Comment