No announcement yet.

Good old DOS on a G400: Refresh rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good old DOS on a G400: Refresh rates?

Having been suddenly struck by a bit of nostalgia, I'm trying to go back and play some of my good old games. Unfortunately, due to the wiring in my house and the lighting, the 60Hz DOS refresh rates make the screen waver like crazy, and it's killing my eyes.
    I've got a few DOS refresh rate changers, but they all require Vesa 3, and the G400 seems to me only Vesa 2. Odd. Anyway, any suggestions on different ways of changing the refresh rates or some way of forcing Vesa 3?

Thanks!

you can download a vesa driver for DOS from the Matrox download page

Comment

Okay. Thanks. That's good... Except... I don't see them. Could you toss me a link, please?

Comment

it's right there in the '3rd Party drivers' section.

Here's the shortcut in case you can't find it: http://hjem.get2net.dk/surfsmurf/index_g200.htm

Comment

Right. Thank you! Now it's time for some serious conventional memory tweaking. Old games that need EMS are a pain. Heh.

Comment

CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
            DEVICE=(PATH)\HIMEM.SYS
            DEVICE=(PATH)\EMM386.EXE RAM

DEVICEHIGH=blablabla
            etc...

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
            lh blablablablabla
            etc...

I suggest you try out the LH options on various TSRs you load. Sometimes you need not to loadhigh one TSR, to succesfully load another TSR with a bugger memory footprint into an UMB.

------------------
            - What do you get when you put N nVidia whores in a circle and each one pats the person on their right on the back and says "nVidia wins 3dfx and Michael Knight any day of the week!" ?

- You get N people with a boosted ego, and no-one loses anything; keep up the good work, boys!

Comment

Working...
            X