I have the following:
    K6-II 450Mhz (@500Mhz soon)
    Epox MVP3G5 mobo with latest BIOS
    192Mb RAM
    SBLive!
    Internal Supra 33.6 modem
    Samsung 13Gb HD UDMA2

Win-98 with latest updates + VIA drivers + Liveware 3.0

G400 Max is cheap now, should I get one and drop my Voodoo 3? will I get nice performance and visual quality with my specs?

Your display will be very nice looking and the 2-D performance will be great, but considering your processor, the 3-D performance will be poor.

Comment

Voodoo´s perform better with slower cpu´s than G400 (or so they did on early drivers)

If you really are looking forward to 32 bit-color and much better image quality, why not? Go for it. I would upgrade mobo/cpu first, though.

Comment

If you're a gamer you'll be very bummed out with a G400 and a K6. Your V3 will smoke the G400 in your current system. I have a Max with a K6-3 450 and it is slower than a regular old TNT. The G400 is very CPU dependent and the SS7 platform is not up to the task. Put your $200 into a Duron/Socket A combo and stick with the V3 until the G800 comes out. That way you can go for the G800 or find a G400 Max for dirt cheap. The Max in a Duron system won't hang in with a GeForce or V5 but it will still be very fast and will look great, plus you can add a Rainbow Runner. If you don't game much, the Max is fantastic for 2D in any system.

Comment

I´m using AMD k6-2 350mhz with g400 max and i must say that you get used to the "low-performance" in 3D. The last game I played was Soldier of Fortune which performed fps between 14-30 (Full detail). At first i was digusted about the performance but few days after i got used to it and i enjoyed the game fully.

I'm not a hardcore player tho. Using 3DS MAX3 with my g400 and k6-2 is just great.
          [ j c o l e ]

Comment

Working...
          X