Windows 2000 and G400 problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 and G400 problem???

Well I've been running Windows 2000 on my system for the past couple weeks and everyonce in awhile without any warning my monitor shuts itself off and my computer locks up hard. I try the three finger salute and try tapping the num lock key to see if the light lights up but nothing. Only thing I can do is hit the reset button to restart the computer. I never had this problem before with the system in Windows 98. Any suggestions?

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB DOA....

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I don't think it is the G400 driver.... I never experienced that problem, and I have been running Win2k for quite some time now (6 months)

Comment

I get the same with my G200.

some questions.

Does it lock after being left for a while? (mine does)

Do you have any openGL screensavers selected? (I did).

turning the screensaver off fixed my problem, I am using the 5.03 G200 driver.

Comment

I get the same with my G200.

some questions.

Does it lock after being left for a while? (mine does)

Do you have any openGL screensavers selected? (I did).

turning the screensaver off fixed my problem, I am using the 5.03 G200 driver.

Comment

Your mobo may not be fully ACPI compliant. Check whether you can go into standby mode reliably. If you can't then ensure that your power options don't try to enter standby mode.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

My systen is fully ACPI complaint, and goes into standby and hibernation with no trouble.

the problem described ONLY happens with teh Microsoft OpenGL screensavers, so I suspect a problem with the Matrox driver locking after a finite amount of time. as I said, disabling the screensaver, or even changing it to "flying windows" is enough to fix the problem.....

Anyone know if there will be new Win2k drivers for G200 owners soon? G400 owners have had several driver updates recently....

Comment

Mmm overclocking that could be the suspect. Win2000 is more picky than 98. Does it happen after a period of time? If so how hot is proc getting.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I will say it again. This is NOT a hardware problem, I can hammer my PC all day, Q3 will run TIMEDEMOs for hours on end, no problems, as soon as the PC is left idle and the OpenGL screensavers kick in for at least 30minutes, the system locks solid (the same as GT98's symptom).

Comment

I downloaded the new BH6 rev 1.0 QN BIOS earlier today and so far no problems. But then again the problem I have had has been pretty much hit and miss...no ryme or reason for it happening.

Scott

------------------
                  Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB DOA....

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I would try not using the OGl screensaver.

Comment

Homer I wasn't refering to you. Anyway since you found the solution why go on about it. GT98 is overclocking close to celerons limit. He's now downloaded a newer Bios and this may improve stability it's looking good so far.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X