What mother-board for thr G400 max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mother-board for thr G400 max?

Hello I Like to buy a new mobo that will fit with the g400max and my new p3 866...

I thoght about to posibile options:
    asus p3v4x
    or
    asus CUV4X

Which one will work faster and more stable with this config?
    --------------
    System Specs:
    Operation System: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Final Release)
    Case (chassis): Moded Antec Gemstone Case (300watt p.s)
    CPU: Intel P3 800e@1033 (Slot) (cb0)
    Memory: 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV2
    Motherboard: Asus P3V4X (bios 1005)
    Video card: Matrox Millenium G400 Max (Drivers 6.14)
    Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer
    Hard drive: IBM Deskstar 75GXP (15gb)
    DVD-ROM drive: Aopen DVD-1640-PRO (Slot version)
    Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer (With EverGlide GIGANTA)
    Keyboard: Compact Generic
    Monitor: Mag XJ700T
    Speakers: Altec Lansing ATP3 (For the front)
    Sony Sound System (For the back)
    Joystick: Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback 2

Half a dozen of one, six of the other.

There is no reason to believe one will work, while the other won't. The P3V4X is Asus' Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A board, while the CUV4X is the socketed version. The North Bridges are practically the same, except the CUV4X has been slightly modified for the socket interface. The South Bridges are different, and some additional features have (AMR slot, etc.) been added to the CUV4X.

If the choice is between these two motherboards and your processor is in the S.E.C.C.2 form factor, you don't have a choice. You must go with the Slot 1 P3V4X. If you have a FC-PGA PIII, then the slocket option is still available to you.

If I were you, I'd look at the layout of both boards (the P3V4X has an additional PCI slot, I believe), assess my needs, and base my decision from there. Again, these are both VIA Apollo Pro 133A boards, so you'll probably want to use the PD 6.0 beta drivers and VIA's 4.03 AGP driver.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

A good bx chipset like a Soyo 6BA+IV or MSI BX Master will be more stable and run faster than EITHER of those via based chipsets. Just put a card cooler on the Max @ anything over 133 FSB and you'll be good to go.

Just my $.02,

B. Sector
      900 T-bird @ 1 GHz, K7 Pro, G400 Max, IBM 20.5GB, 20" Sony, 56x Afreey, SB Live X-gamer

1.33 T-Bird @ 1.53 GHz, Iwill KK266R, Radeon VIVO, 2 x 30GB WDs (RAID 0), 19"Sony, 12/10/32 Plextor, Toshiba 16x/48x dvdrom

Comment

If you're going with a flip chip and want the VIA 133A chipset, consider the MSI 6309. It runs my 700E at 933 with retail cooling and my G400 at AGP 4x.

Comment

Working...
        X