No announcement yet.

G800 Spec's, I think... Speak German??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G800 Spec's, I think... Speak German??

here they are, in german, anyone got a link to a translator.. seem to be coming up empty here...
    Source: 3Dcenter.de
    Matrox G800 - "Specs"
    18. Juni 2000 / von Leonidas

Es geht weiter mit den Spekulationen über zukünftige Chips. Nach den "Infos" über die Chips von nVidia ist nun Matrox mit dem G800 dran. Wie 3DConcept berichtete, konnte man kürzlich in einer Datei der neuesten G400-Treiber die Namen des zukünftigen Matrox-Superchips herauslesen. Nachdem klar war, das Matrox beim G bleiben wird und die Sache also G800 und nicht TL800 nennen wird (beides war vorher schon ab und zu mal angenommen wurden), konnten zusätzlich noch ein paar Anhaltspunkte auf einige unterschiedliche G800-Varianten gefunden werden.

Unabhängig von der Namens-Sache gibt es zumindestens schon einige Daten zum Chip. Sie sind natürlich inoffiziell und Matrox wird wie üblich bis zur Vorstellung des Chips alles abstreiten:

G800
    Verfügbarkeit: September 2000
    Vorstellung: August 2000
    250 MHz DDR Speichertakt (GF2: 166)
    3 Pixel/Takt, 3 Texturen/Pixel (G400Max: 2/1, GF2: 4/2)
    Füllrate: 600 MPixel bzw. 1800 MTexel (G400Max: 300/300, GF2: 800/1600)
    T&L-Einheit mit 20-30 Mill. Polygonen / Sekunde (GF2: 30)
    DualChip-Fähigkeit
    Was fällt auf? Matrox kann bezüglich der Füllraten sicherlich mit der GeForce2 mithalten, aber daß sollte für einen September-Chip wohl das mindeste sein. Interessanterer Punkt: Wie schon in der Vergangenheit macht Matrox beim Speicher keine Gefangenen und nimmt das beste was zu kriegen ist. Angesichts dessen, daß schon die aktuelle GeForce2 durch ihren langsamen 166-MHz-Speicher ausgebremst wird, sind die 250 MHz (DDR) der G800 natürlich der einzig richtige Schritt. Mal sehen, ob Matrox der G800 wieder so ein excellentes Speicherinterface spendiert wie bei der G400 (oder besser).

Der Herbst wird jedenfalls maßlos interessant. nVidia und 3Dfx werden erst im Winter neue Produkte herausbringen (aber sicher schon im Herbst so tun als ob). Damit werden wir zumindestens im Herbst einen neuen Spitzenreiter küren, welcher nicht von diesen beiden Firmen stammt. Zur Wahl stehen ATi´s Radeon und eben Matrox´ G800 - beide Hersteller ziehen mit völlig neuen Designs zu Felde. Womit natürlich nicht einschätzbar ist, wer denn am Ende die Nase vorn haben wird und wie lange man sich den Platze an der Sonne sichern kann. Sah es lange Zeit so aus, als würde ATi´s Radeon mit der teilweise als sensationell verkauften Charisma-Engine ein Albtraum-Projekt für nVidia, bringt sich nun Matrox mit soliden Spezifikationen und dem nicht so schillernden, aber dafür um so wirkungsvolleren Feature der großen Speicherbandbreite wieder zurück ins Geschäft.

Was mit den Dual-Chips wird - man kann es nur ahnen. Sowohl die von ATi als auch von Matrox würden wohl alles wegfegen - wenn sie denn zum gleichen Zeitpunkt herauskommen würden wie die SingleChip-Ausführungen. Aber man sieht momentan auch bei 3dfx´s Voodoo5-6000 (und die haben schon jahrelange Erfahrung mit so etwas), daß die ganze Dual- oder Quad-Chip-Geschichte doch nicht so einfach zu beherrschen ist. Es steht zu erwarten, daß auch die Dual-Ausführungen der anderen Hersteller erst ein paar Wochen / Monate nach den "normalen" Ausführungen beim Käufer aufschlagen werden. Insofern würde ich dies noch nicht so wild sehen und doch durchaus erst einmal die SingleChip-Ausführungen abwarten wollen ...

nach oben zum News-Index
    Interesting Eh??

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 29 June 2000).]
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Here it is Altavista "bablefished":
    http://world.altavista.com

Matrox G800 - " Specs " 18 June 2000 / of Leonidas it continues to go with the speculations over future chips. After the " information " about the chips of nVidia now Matrox with the G800 is to. How 3DConcept reported, one could pick the names out of the future Matrox superchip recently in a file of the newest G400-Treiber. After was clear, which will remain Matrox with the G and which will thus call thing G800 and not TL800 (both was beforehand already from time to time was times assumed), could a few reference points on some different G800-Varianten is additionally still found. Independently of the name thing there are already zumindestens some data to the chip. They are naturally unofficial and Matrox become as usual up to the conception of the chip of all abstreiten: G800 availability: September 2000 conception: August 2000 250 mc/s GDR storing ATS (GF2: 166) 3 pixel/clock, 3 texture/pixel (G400Max: 2/1, GF2: 4/2) Filling rate: 600 MPixel or 1800 MTexel (G400Max: 300/300, GF2: 800/1600) T&L unit with 20-30 Mill. Polygonen / second (GF2: 30) Dual chip ability which is noticeable? Matrox can surely keep up concerning the filling rates with the GeForce2, but that it should be probably the mindeste for a September chip. More interesting point: As in the past Matrox already does not make prisoners with the memory and that takes best which to wars is. In view of its that the current GeForce2 is already output-braked by its slow 166-MHz-Speicher, it is natural 250 mc/s (GDR) the G800 the only correct step. See times whether Matrox of the G800 spendiert again as a excellentes memory interface as with the G400 (or better). The autumn will become excessively interesting nVidia and 3Dfx anyhow only in the winter new products to bring out (however surely in the autumn to do in such a way as if). Thus we become zumindestens in the autumn a new front runner kueren, who does not come from these two companies. ATix27s Radeon and evenly Matroxx27 G800 is available - both manufacturers pull with completely new Designs to field. With which is naturally not estimatable, who will have the nose in front at the end and like for a long time one can protect oneself workstation at the sun. If it looked long time in such a way, as if became ATix27s Radeon with the partial than sensationally sold to Charisma engines a Albtraum project for nVidia, now Matrox brings itself with solid specifications and that do not schillernden in such a way, but but the more effective feature of the large memory bandwidth again back in the business. Which with the dual chips becomes - one can only suspect it. Both of ATi and of Matrox everything would probably sweep away - if they would come out at the same point in time as the single chip remarks. But one sees at the moment also with 3dfxx27s Voodoo5-6000 (and those to have experience already for many years with such a thing) that the whole binary or Quad chip history is not to be controlled nevertheless so easily. It is to expect that also the dual remarks of the other manufacturers will only break open a few weeks / months after the " normal " remarks with the buyer. To that extent I would see and nevertheless quite only once the single chip remarks to wait for would want this not yet so wild... upward to the News index

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 29 June 2000).]

Comment

Hmmm, I like the bablefished line:

"GeForce2 is already output-braked by its slow 166-MHz-Speicher"

Should that be "166-MHz-Sphincter"? After all- that could possibly reduce "output."

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 29 June 2000).]

Comment

Maybe they should overclock it with some prune juice.

I think they should change the name of Bablefish to Gibberishfish.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paulcs
          Maybe they should overclock it with some prune juice.
          I think they should change the name of Bablefish to Gibberishfish.
          Yep it could be complete bunk, don't know, that's why I posted it... It looks reasonable till you get to the Memory, 250Mhz DDR?? seems a bit opimistic, but who knows... and the T&L seems alittle fishy, not sure Matrox will go that route, who knows... not me...

I would think 3/3 Pixel/Texel pipeline would be quite efficient... we'll see

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I don't care how close these specs are to the final product ...

I want it anyway !

Cheers,
            Maggi
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Same here!
              bring it on!

Comment

well,

a Fusion G800 (2*G800) with 64 Mo DDR at 250 mhz with dual

that's a cool 500 $ product.

A G800 at 166 mhz with 166 mhz DDR and 32 mo (250 $ i guess) will be enought for me to replace my G400 16 Mo.

Comment

Interesting, Barbie ... where did you get these prices from ?
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah really, if it were that easy to get 250MHz DDR, it would be in the GTS.

It will probablyl have T&L, or at least a programmable engine capable of doing transforms at least, not sure if vertex lighting is all that interesting. If it were programmable it would be a lot cooler than a static implementation.

[This message has been edited by Himself (edited 29 June 2000).]

Comment

The WARP is already programmable. I don't see why not a true T&L chip from Matrox wouldn't be either. Also, Matrox has ALWAYS used the fastest memory available. WRAM instead of DRAM, SGRAM instead of SDRAM, and higher clocks on the memory than anyone else.
                      If the article says they are going to use 250MHZ DDRAM, I believe it. Also, why just 3/3 for pixel/texel? Doesn't the Geforce already do 4/4?

Comment

You know what's great fun, take a news article in English and translate it into French or German with Babelfish. Then translate if back to English. It is always fun to read.

Comment

If it is going to use 250MHz DDR, don't expect it in Sept, think Dec at the retail level at the earliest. Also expect $$$.

Comment

red2
                            Also, why just 3/3 for pixel/texel? Doesn't the Geforce already do 4/4?
                            Well no the GF2 has 4/2, four pixel pipelines each with 2 Texels... The GF2 has so much fill rate it's rediculous, but the unfortunate pairing of only 166Mhz DDR chokes the GF2 down to earth ;o)

Craig

Comment

Just chokes yeah-
                              Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 634.2 MTexels/s
                              Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 1304.9 MTexels/s

As Kruzen has said when the next card comes out it will be 1/2-1 gen ahead of the competion. Well thats going to be some incrediable fill rate if it's a true of the then current cards, considering were the current ones are.
                              Come on MATROX we are sitting on pins and needles waiting. (OK /wineing)

Mark F

------------------
                              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                              and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                              and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                              X