g800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g800?

This is probably an often-asked question...

Do we know anything about the g800? Projected release? Hardward T&L? Wipes the floor with GeForce 2?

I'm just wondering, because, though I really like Matrox cards, I'm trying to prepare a high-end machine...and Matrox always seems to be a generation behind. Just as I was going to buy a G400 MAX, the GeForce cards came out and started dominating. Well, the g400 wasn't so bad in the face of GF1, but...for god's sake, GeForce 2 is already out, and Matrox is still playing with the G400 and hinting at a G450.

Will there be GeForce 4 cards tried and true by the time Matrox releases a G800?

maybe I'm just being silly. ^_^

-Kenjura, with Matrox since the 4 MB Mystique 220.

Matrox decided to leave the graphics card business a couple of days ago, and their G800 was already developed to that new policy: it is not a graphics card, but a toaster! you can toast up to 8(!!) slices of bread with it, and not only that:
    You can grill meat with it too! Consider all the great possibilities of this device! As soon as it will come out, I will most cetainly buy one!

Comment

Rumor has it that it should be out by the end of the year. I'm sure that when it does come out it will be more than adequate to face the competition as usual.

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

So far, we know nothing about the G800, all we know is that it'll be "approximately 2x faster than the G450", which means bascially nothing because there are no G450's to test and see how fast they are.. ;o) Very slick on the Big M's part...

will it have T&L?? Dun know, it's possible...

Projected release?? I beleive the Rumour is that they will release their next gen part to coincide with the release of DX8, prolly Aug./Sept. Timeframe..

Wipe the floor with the GF2?? Doesn't the G400Max already do that?? Oh you mean gaming performance... I'm sure it'll be fast, but I don't count FPS, as long as it's smooth, has DualHead and of course continues the Big M's exelecnt display clarity....

Or hey, it could be that 8 slice Toaster... I heard it might even have an Auto-buttering feature, rumoured delays on getting it Jam compatible...

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 23 June 2000).]
        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

rumoured delays on getting it Jam compatible...
          I second that; there's no way to get it Microsoft Jam -compatible while the specs haven't shipped to manufactorers yet! And I would think twice about that auto-buttering especially if you think about slamming it on VIA board.
          Knowing Matrox, it will take 6 months for the drivers to even support Open Crisp Surface API althought out-of-box snack experience is promised.

:
          B

Comment

Maybe it has 2xFBBT and 4xFBBT(Full bread buttering) also

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

I agree. Now is the time Matrox. Sure, the GTS2 is in the house with FPS but, for me at least, my graphics card needs to provide me with more than FPS--that's why I'm a completely satisfied G400 Max owner. Best damn thing I've ever bought for my computer.

It'll be nice change when the tech/overclocker sites are drooling over Matrox rather than GTS2's with 64megs.

Comment

I have a MAX installed on every computer in my house and two G200s for my daughter and at work. So far, I don't have any need to upgrade to a Gforce or G450 or G800. My displays are as good as needs be.

Sorry Matrox, sorry NVidia, not in the market

Comment

kenjura We know that there will probably be a card based on it called the Matrox Fusion Plus G800. And that's it. The rest is speculation but with Matrox's past record you can expect something similar to what they currently offer.

You say that Matrox always seem to be a generation behind - I certainly disagree - at the moment they are gearing up for a new release and it can be expected that their last card released almost a year ago I think won't exactly compete with last month's cards. Wait a couple of months and see then - the 64Mb DDR GF2s will be cheaper by then and you can get one of them then - if Matrox hasn't delivered by then. If you look at the G200 - it was out at the time of the Voodoo2, Banshee and TNT - where it did fare quite well though the multitexturing capabilities of the TNT and Voodoo2 saw the Quake 2 framerates soar beyond it. The G400 came out a few months after the Rage128, Voodoo3 and TNT2 - and it struggled in the low-res benchmarks but these points have been covered elsewhere - it is effectively on par with the TNT2 and Ultra on performance and with the excellent feature set and quality I'd have chose one (in fact I did but cancelled after a 3 month wait from my supplier ) NVIDIA bring out cards on a seemingly ever-increasing rate and nobody at all has released a new chipset between the GeForce and GF2 - saying that Matrox are slow is maybe true - but it's more a case of NVIDIAs rapid product development cycle. The G400 offered triple the performance of the G200 and I'd say this is likely to be the case for the G800, that is, triple the performance of the G400. I doubt NVIDIA can lay claim to their cards offering such a generational performance boost.

I think the successor to the GF2 will be close when the G800 comes out but Matrox will offer a card close on the performance side but with all the stuff we love Matrox for.

And my current rumour belief is that it'll be 2 G450s (say 20-50% faster than G400) on a board with a further T&L unit (though not possibly on chip).

Matrox might even put some golden syrup in the new G450 boxes and their spread of G800s should be dripping with goodness .

Paul

--
                  Matrox Fusion G800:
                  I can't believe it's not blurry!

(I don't know who all will get that joke but I've stuck it in anyway )
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Excellent sig, Paul !

--
                    Matrox Fusion G800 @ 2048x1536:
                    I can't believe it's still not blurry!
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Screw the jam and toast, give me pop tarts, damn it!

Comment

well, I'm already sold on the G400 MAX...just another question for those of you who use it.

How's the DVD decoding? As compared to, say, a dxr3?

-Kenjura

Comment

Hi Kenjura,

I cannot compare it, because I never had a different DVD option in my system, but the output quality is just awesome when hooked up via s-video connectors to my TV !!!

My former Cel333@500MHz hovered around 80-90% CPU usage when running the enclosed Cinemaster Player for the G400.

Cheers,
                          Maggi
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Oh, any old toaster can toast bread. I need a toaster that can offer 32-element toasting without a performance penalty, and 2 toasting sides per toast pipeline is a must.

Of course, you need at least 64MB of memory for all those big textures, low texture toast always tastes blurry and washed-out.

And yes, I hear theyre going to include the T-butter, that means we'll get 4xFBBT and jam for free! Best of all, theyre going to integrate hardware TnL enhancements (Thickness and Length) to give us support for higher-complexity Bagels and English Muffins.

Gonna be one helluva toaster

------------------
                            This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Working...
                            X