Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never have i felt so demorolised... can anyone can help with HD's or Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never have i felt so demorolised... can anyone can help with HD's or Motherboards

Never have i been so low

if you have been following my configuration probs in my other thread http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002802.html
    then you'll know that I had Jitter on mjpeg playback. how i would love those days back.

I have continually installed windows so much that it now sickens me to see it boot.
    And i have continual errors and boxs flashing up saying (XwhateverX program has errors and is stopping running)
    even during instalation of things...

but the worst... i rebooted and when i rebooted my SCSI cd writer could not be found and neither could my new UDMA 66 Maxtor 20gig drive. I rebooted, and there they were in bios and hardware all being detected but not in windows, not even ghost could find either of them and booting with the start up disc had no joy either.

I switched off and unplugged my SCSI card and reseasted it. Then unplugged/reconnected my UDMA lead and power in my Maxtor

Now many more reboots later i have my SCSI drive back but no Maxtor...
    Where is my E drive. Using ghost i can detect it now but trying to take the image and put it onto another drive takes about 2 seconds. The drive should have 11gig of stuff on it.
    This means i have lost every single peice of work i have done for college/fun or otherwise in the past 3 years
    God... No....
    I am now at a loss. i know Maxtor have HD checking tools but i am weary incase the info is still there somewhere but unaccessable and the util wipe sit for good

its like when i first got the drive and had to ghost onto it to give it Letter fo Identification.
    Screw windows not working i want the past 3 years of my life back.....
    i would return the drive to the shop but again.. what if the info is locked in there somewhere???

anyone know of any software that can rescue stuff when its been deleted,
    again i deleted nothing i just switched on and the drive wasnt there...

I really really dont know what to do .. i feel like crying...

Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Jsut to add...
    if i go to, properties in Windows
    it finds the Maxtor
    and Fdisk finds it, but says it has no useage or partitons on it..

Maxtors website describes the problem and speaks of an FDISK/MBR dos command the reinstates the Master Boot Record of the device.. of course i tried this.. and nothing, the floppy just whizzes for a while and then back to Command prompt.
    i have a feeling im meant to do the fdisk/mbr command when ive selected the letter of the effected drive which would be E: but sadly.. i cant access it in dos.. like i said above.....

why god what did i do to you?????
    why do you punish me so...
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Remember that broken window you never told your father about...

Comment

I wish I knew how to solve your problem, but unfortunately it's well over my head. I can only suggest that you leave it alone for awhile, especially if you've been dealing with it for some time. There's nothing worse than trying to solve a problem when you're tired and upset. You don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Somebody here should have some answers for you.

Come on people, let's help this guy!

Comment

Thanks Patrick..
          thats the first time ive smiled in hours
          (And i did put all my paper round money toward fixing the window :O)

Comment

Do you have PC133 RAM Installed.

I had similar prob with my setup using an ABIT board. Turned out that the MB used some sort of memory buffer that got really pissed off with PC133. It was fine with PC100

Hope this helps

Pooh
            ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

Hi,
              I have 3 sticks of ram
              1 128mg dimms
              and 2 64mg dimms

both are PC100
              any more details on this memory buffer??
              anyone know how to switch it of in the options?

anyone else here running a Marvel G400 with an ABIT BE6 ???

Comment

owch. okay, first off, recognize: your system is fubared.

it's time to format. fdisk, delete all the partitions, create new ones, format format format. yes, you'll lose everything. dem's de breaks. This ofcourse, only has to be done to the (entire) harddrive containing your OS (so backup whatever documents and whatnot you need to a different PHYSICAL harddrive). Install win98 cleanly.

This is the only thing I can think of. Trying to fix these things any other way usually leads to more headaches.

Good luck..

Comment

Thanks Coolfish. but i must stress
                  each time i have encountered problems i have totally reformatted my C: drive with Fdisk
                  then reinstalled win98SE from fresh.
                  IN fact i think ive done a complete reinstall between most posts on this board

I have just formatted my maxtor drive with Fdisk having come to terms with losing everything
                  I think (hope) that this is the reason it went down in the first place (i never did a partion thing with fdisk or anything)

but now i have noticed something
                  i decided to back up my progress with ghost
                  and when i checked the integrity of the image file i ended up with it says it is corrupt??? it says this mostly on the maxtor but also sometimes on my regular D drive

there must be a problem regarding shifting data.. oh and I now have it set up like this

IDE 1:
                  Master- 12 gig 33
                  Slave - 16 gig 33
                  IDE 2:
                  Master- DVD drive
                  IDE 3: -Highpoint UDMA 66 Controler-
                  Master- 20 gig 66 (Maxtor)

and the jittering playback from Mhpeg files has now stopped. Now i have intermiitent Flashing frames and corrupted lines. Both of which make the file look poo, when it played fine only days ago..

The way im thinking now is that it must be something wrong with my motherboard

I had relativly little problems, then i install my ABIT and BANG lots of trouble...

what does everyone else think should i reinstall my other Mboard (JETWAY BX2000)
                  and get my money back on my ABIT (if software warehouse will let me)

Comment

also my system sometimes hangs when i shut down??????

I dont get it. All i have heard about ABIT is good yet it my system is totallt screwed.

Its got to be either my Motherboard or my marvel is dying...
                    but id lean toward the motherboard since data integrity throughout the system seems dodgy (hence the corrupt ghost files)

Comment

Maybe you should update your bios. On www.abit.com.tw I read something about supporting hardisks and controllers in newer bios version. I believe trying this might solve your problems. Good luck.

Comment

Hi, Again thanXs but the first thing i did was update my bios and drivers

I just dont get it, ive done everything right
                        havent I???

Comment

My bro had some major probs getting his ABIT BP-6 board sorted out, and I think all the B?-6 boards work the same way.
                          This is what we found - the first PCI slot and AGP slot share an IRQ. Don't put a card that needs an IRQ in it with a Matrox card in the AGP slot. I don't remember the next bit exactly, but I think the second PCI slot shares with the UDMA 66 controller and causes havoc if you try and use the 66. Then the last 2 PCI slots also share an IRQ.

Can you post which slots you have all the cards in atm? I saw the IRQ list on the other thread, but I'm not sure its up to date.

Oh yeah, and what you have on each disk controller might be useful too (Oops, just spotted that above:P)

Don't go fdisking that 11 gig partition just yet, this is very similar to what happened on my bro's comp and we got all the data off that.

[This message has been edited by Raptor^ (edited 16 January 2000).]

Comment

hi,
                            my marvel i sin the agp slot
                            then the first pci is blank
                            the second has my soundblaster live in
                            being forced to use irq 5 via the bios
                            the third pci slot (which shares with the ^^ contoller is blank
                            and the forth has my PCS SCSI card in
                            4 and 5 share an IRQ so that should be ok and that is being forced to use IRQ 9

i had to force the IRQ because it gets confused as on my other thread
                            now my SBlive is on 5
                            Marvel G400 on 11 with IRQ sharing
                            (i know its important to have the marvel aas alone as possible)
                            then Sb 16 compatability uses 7 along with the printer
                            and PCI card uses 9

like i said unless i force IRQ's things get even more confused as everything tries to use 9, 10 and 11

and what do you mean by which disk on what controller?
                            do you mean this

IDE 1:
                            Master- 12 gig 33
                            Slave - 16 gig 33
                            IDE 2:
                            Master- DVD drive

IDE 3: -Highpoint UDMA 66 Controler-
                            Master- 20 gig 66 (Maxtor)
                            Slave- nothing
                            IDE 4: -Highpoint UDMA 66 Controler-
                            nothing on both

Comment

Firstly - have you tried the Maxtor on the standard IDE controller?

What is the Marvel sharing with, you said it was shared, but not what with.

One last thing, what IRQ does the 66 controller have assigned to it now?

Comment

Working...
                              X