Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gx00VBE new version: A MUST for DOS users!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gx00VBE new version: A MUST for DOS users!

Right. For those of you who don't already know that great util...

First of all, it enables VBE3.0 support, resolutions like 320x200x32bpp and 1280x1024x32bpp and...

IT ALLOWS CHANGING REFRESH-RATES!

It works with G100/G200/G400 (at least), is a TSR (7k) and loads into UMB (no base memory used).

http://hjem.get2net.dk/surfsmurf/index_g200.htm

Well, new version (that supports changin refreshes) is not yet released (well, the author just released a private beta of it, maybe he'll throw you a copy if you ask nicely .. Should go public quite soon.

This is definately something that Matrox cards should have in hardware.

Now if only someone could emulate VESA for NT5 I would be happy.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Well, I'll use a DOS box under windows on occasion but I haven't had any need for real-mode DOS these days except for fixing a broken system.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I Do DOS! Damn, Ive been looking for something like this since I replaced my TNT with a G400, Ive had to play my DOS games on another machine just to get VBEHz to work.

I really want a copy of that Beta version.

------------------
        This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Weird.. Doesn't anyone (except DosFreak) use dos with Matrox card?

Beta2 released! Now it allows applying modes. Save still doesn't work, so you need to readjust everything every time you boot..

I've found many uses for it.. First of all, gfx-modes, *any* resolution between 128x88 and the maximum your card supports, in any bitdepth (4,8,15,16,24,32) ..

Textmodes are really flexible too. I've tried modes like 2x14, 233x14, 150x100,..

------------------

Comment

well, I would if my SBLive! would have proper DOS emulation for SB16 or SBPro, and not the f***up drivers it has right now.

That's right! I would use DOS, and play 2nd Reality Demo all day every day (when I feel like it)

Comment

Hey, it also works under Win32 (95/98/98se/me(?)) .. Just load it in autoexec.bat and use gmode/textmode in dos-box to setup your modes .. And yes, you don't need to load it in autoexec, can also be loaded under Win32 (well, who would want to). Possibly it is even possible to get this work under Os/2 .. I'd like to hear about it from someone who uses it..

It's now in beta3-stage.. Save finally works (so no need to add/edit modes after every reboot) ..

If you want to get a copy of it, just join to the beta program. More info on that webpage..

I think that the final version will also be released quite soon .. The author has really been working (new beta almost every day) ..

dZeus, Watching 2nd reality every day? Ewwk .. I've watched it a "bit" too much.. I prefer '98 demos/introes .. Those were the best ones (after that everybody has been making those ugly 3D-demos that can't compete with 3D-games) .. Are you coming to Assembly'2k party? (in case you didn't know, it's here in Finland, in the beginning of august, organized by FC. http://www.assembly.org )

Comment

Wait a sec. Before I get my hopes up did I hear you correctly? Did I hear you say that I can use VESA in Windows 2000? Huh? huh? I will wait for a reply and then I will download this prog if I get a good response. If this works I would be a very very happy person and very confused because I don't think a Geforce or Voodoo can do Vesa in NT5.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Nope, it DOES work under Win32, not under WinNT. That's one reason why I don't use NT.

Comment

Well, actually, it MIGHT work in NT dosbox. Try it, you won't lose anything.

Comment

I LOVE this program, does everything VBEHz did for my old TNT card, plus its got a better interface for changing modes.

My only complaint: if I minimize a DOS box running an application using gx00vbe, when I try to get back into the DOS app, it causes a hard crash.

This also happens when I leave the computer for a few mins, as the screensaver comes on and basically minimizes the DOS app. I find that fairly annoying, hope it can be fixed.

------------------
                      This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Doesn't actually crash. The screen is just full of garbage. That can be fixed some way, I've managed to do it couple of times, but don't know exactly.

Try to switch to another task or to kill the dosbox (well, if you do this before switching back, it's a lot easier) .. Notice that the dosbox is still running (well, possibly it is REALLY slow, but whatever). If you can exit that application blindly and type EXIT into prompt, you should get back to windows desktop.

Problem similar to this is common even with real VBE 3.0 support. If you are in SVGA mode and switch to windows and back, your screen is full of garbage. Well, it will get updated by the application quite soon (sometimes you can "draw" the screen back with mouse pointer) ..

Comment

Working...
                        X