WinNT + VIA + G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinNT + VIA + G400

I can't find any via agp drivers for via chipsets for windows nt.
    But I would still like to be able to use my G400 in Windows NT in more than 640x480x16 colours.
    I don't need any 3D support.
    Any suggestions as to if this can be done and if so how.

Thanks

I run NT4 with the G400Max at 1280x1024x16 most of the time on my KA7. To enable AGP operation, use Powerstrip (last icon with the letter i on it >windows >details >2x). This enables 2x operation according to WCPUID, but although 4x is not grayed out, Powerstrip will not set it either. Frankly, I really don't care as there is very little difference between 2x and 4x - even on bms. In real world apps, I certainly can't feel any difference in any OS!

Now, as I recall, NT4 did not originally ship with AGP functionality, but AGP was added with one of the service packs (3 and later, I think - check the MS KB). I didn't have an AGP capable system then, so I didn't pay much attention. But I'm fairly sure one of the later sp's are required and with sp5 or sp6a I know it's there.

Now, as to the $64 question (showing my age here ), does the Powerstrip mod above really enable AGP on NT4 with the G400Max? I really have no concrete evidence. Maybe someone reading this will jump in and clarify. WCPUID says it is, but if it's just reading a registry entry, it may not be accurate. 3Dmark2000 and Final Reality will not run on NT as DX5 and above is required. On my machine, Q3A is slower in NT4 than on W98, but I don't know if this is lack of AGP support or just less optimized drivers.

All I know for sure is that the video in NT4 with the G400Max at 1280x1024x16 or 32 is plenty fast for all of the real world work I do and that's all I really care about!

JohnT (obviously not a gamer )

Comment

Working...
    X