No announcement yet.

Decode TV-signal with RR-G by software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decode TV-signal with RR-G by software?

Hi,

I have an AMD Athlon 700 MHz, a Matrox Millennium G400 Max and a Rainbow Runner G-series.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to decode/descramble a TV cable-signal by software?
    E.g. for Canal+ I should need a hardware decoder but I've heard it is also possible to
    do it by software.

Kristof.Boeykens@philips.com

Hmm.. interesting question.. but, I would say no.

If you had a video tuner card that used the same technology like a WinModem (where its software that decodes the signal and not hardware) then one could possibly decode the scrambled signal.

AFAIK, the RRG is hardware.. so.. not going to happen.
    Abit BX6 Rev.1
    Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
    192 meg RAM, CAS2
    13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
    6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
    HP8110i 4x2x24
    Pioneer DVD-104
    SB Live! 1024
    USB ZIP 100
    G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
    Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
    YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Yes it is possible to do it by software. There's one that allready exists and works quite well if you are in Germany. I don't know if they added other country support yet.

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 21 June 2000).]

Comment

Hi Haig,

do you know where I could find this software that works for German TV-signal. Or do you know the name?

Comment

Well, I'll be.. I had no idea. I guess the TV-tuner chip is software controlled. Or, something like that.

Haven't found anything for U.S. yet..

I'll let EVERYONE know when I do..

Thanks Maggi and Haig!
          Abit BX6 Rev.1
          Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
          192 meg RAM, CAS2
          13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
          6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
          HP8110i 4x2x24
          Pioneer DVD-104
          SB Live! 1024
          USB ZIP 100
          G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
          Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
          YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

I made some tests with a Hauppauge WinTV card and just used a S-video connector to feed the card's video input with my satelite receiver's signal ...

Back then I used my Cel333@500 and the output was anything elase than crystal clear, but it was stable enough to enjoy the programm.

I think I could need another video inpout device ...

------------------
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hi CB,

the software is telling the tv tuner how to receive each channel and at what frequency. I don't know about the US but here in Canada, our pay channels are changing frequencies every 5 seconds. So even some of the illegal descramblers have a very hard time to decode the pay channels. I don't know if it will be possible to get one of these apps to do it.

Haig

Comment

Hi all,

a software TV-descrambler would be a nice bonus for the Marvel or the RR, which I actually did not accounted for.

Haig: I live in belgium, do you remember the name of that software program that did work in germany ? The link Maggi provided (thanks) resulted in many different options, I don't know which one could possibly work...

Did anyone succeed in descrambling with a Marvel ?
                AMD-K6-2-300, EPOX-58MVP3C-M,
                Marvel G400, 64MB+64MB(PC100+PC133), Maxtor DM40PLUS 30GB,
                W98 (no SE), currently no overclocking (FSB=100)

Comment

Hi MarkD,

I'm also from Belgium. I think we are both talking about descrambling the Canal+ channel. I have found two programs (thanks for the link Maggi!!!) which are looking for your TV-input. Then he will use some parameters to descramble the signal. I haven't tried it yet ... perhaps tonight. I will let you know from the moment that I have a result. P.S.: What is your e-mail address?

Comment

Hi Boeykenk,

although I could reply in dutch, I will not do it in respect of the other forum visitors
                    Yes, you are right, I'm talking about the Canal+ channels, but only for the soccer programmes, of course
                    Could you provide the link to those two programs you've found. Searching for the answer might by easier when we are two.
                    About my e-mail adres: can be found under the middle icon in the top of my messages (with the 'flying' letter)

Comment

Isn't the Canal+ scrambler set up with a decoder card that changes every month orso, and the card has the instructions to change channels hardwired into it?

I know some people who can make such a card, or could, as here in Holland the cards are now almost fool-proof.

So I wonder if a software program can find the right frequency pattern then. You might have visual, but no sound, or you might have sound, but no visual. Or at worst a little bit of both, and still garbled?

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I had a search on theweb for such programs, and it makes me quite confident that software decoding as such is possible (both in Belgium & the Netherlands, Jorden), the question is whether it is possible on the Marvel or RR-G.

As an example I can link to the following page witch has a lot of CableCrypt Decoders (CCD), which appears to be the coding algorithm used in a signigifcant part of Europe. http://www.netzagent.com/freetv/

One of the programs for example, CableCrypt v1.50, was released only last April, so that is quite recent, no ?
                        Below a list of TV-programs for which decoding is provided:

Country TV channel(s)
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        Austria Wiener Kabelfernsehen Telekino
                        Belgium Canal+, Halmark
                        Belgium UPC (Vlaanderen)
                        Czech Republic ?
                        Finland Canal+
                        Italy Tele+
                        Greece Filmnet
                        Portugal TV Cabo
                        South Africa M-Net
                        Sweden ?
                        The Netherlands Canal+1, Canal+2
                        UK Telewest

These are the system requirements for this program:
                        - Bt848A, Bt849(A), Bt878(A) or Bt879(A) chip based capture card
                        - Pentium class CPU
                        - 682kB free, contiguous, non-paged, physical RAM (DMA buffer)
                        - Windows 95/98 (WinNT or Win2000 is *NOT* supported)

Unfortunately I couldn't get those programs to work with my Marvel... Does anybody know which TV tuner chip is inside the Marvel and/or the RR-G ?

Comment

Haig,

on the Matrox forums you stated that it is a Philips tuner the Matrox cards are using, can you be more specific on that ?

you also say that there is a program that can do descrambling in germany: was that on a Matrox card ? Can you remember the name of that program (and if possible the link) ?

Thnx !

Comment

Working...
                          X