Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win2k 5.10 Monitor costumization messes up with DirectX available resolutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k 5.10 Monitor costumization messes up with DirectX available resolutions?

If I use a custom monitor optimization file, several resolutions start to become non-available for Direct 3d.
    Example: Using windows monitor, all res are available, from 320x200 to 1280x1024 (max my monitor handles). If I use monitor costumization (using a matrox monitor definition) I lost 1152x864 and 1280x1024 in direct 3d. Then, if I costumize the refresh rates, I start loosing in Directx the resolution I just messed with.

I tried to disable "allow windows to use this display mode" in the lowest resolutions (320x200), hoping that higher res would become available, but only one mode remained disabled at one time, like if I disable 320x200x8, and next I try to disable 320x200x16, the 8 bit mode becaomes available again...

To mess thing more, in OpenGL and windows desktop never had problems, all res are available...

Any ideas?

I am posting this in Matrox fori, maybe they take care of it...

Hello again Nuno!

I think the reason why this is happening is that your Direct3D game/application only lists the first few resolutions it finds. When you are running the driver without any monitor customizations, there are less refresh rates available for each resolution. When you select a monitor customization, this number increases, and each one shows up as a separate choice in Direct3D, knocking the higher resolutions off the end of the list. I'm guessing that when you customize a resolution it adds it to the end of the list, which is why the resolution you try to customize suddenly doesn't appear on the list anymore.

I think you have the right idea by trying to disable "allow windows to use this display mode" in the lowest resolutions. But it looks like the behavior you discovered with the different color depths is a bug in the driver.

Try this: For each of the resolutions you want to disable, just disable the resolution for one color depth, such as 320x200x8. Go to the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\G400\Device0. Look for the value D00.0.Def.Graphic.320.200.8. You'll notice that the first hex byte is 00 instead of 01. If you edit the remaining color depths (16, 24, and 32) to match so that the first byte is 00 instead of 01, this should completely disable the resolution. When you go back to monitor tab, it shouldn't even be in the list. Hopefully when you start Direct3D, it won't be in the list there either, which should make your higher resolutions appear on the list again.

Hope this works!

------------------
    Mark Veneziano

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Gee, thanks Mark!
      You really know your stuff Matrox surely could hire you for the driver developer team...

I´ll try it, but I found a workaround for the problem: It only happens if I use the advanced options (those that mess with h-synch, f-porche...) I do that to get the same refresh rate with a lower pixel bandwidth. It increases greatly my monitor image at 1024x768 (I have a Nokia 447 Zi, a low-end 70 Khz 17´´ monitor) that appears kinda ghosted otherwise.

So the only my own costumizations I use now is 1024x768 and 1600x1200 (interlaced ), all the others I select the 85 Hz refresh rate (except 75 hz for 1152 and 60 hz for 1280). It works this way.

But I surely miss running 800x600 at 100 Hz (with v-synch on d3d scores improve a bit with higher refresh rates)

BTW, have you figured how to disable v-synch in 5.10? I tried your tips but none worked.

Wanting impatiently for the new win2k res manager

Comment

Working...
      X