G400 with 3D Studio MAX 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 with 3D Studio MAX 3?

I am wondering about the performance of G400 running 3D Studio MAX version 3 under Windows NT 4 SP6.

Anybody has any experience to share?

I had a G200 that performed badly under MAX, even with the latest drivers. I have been considering a G400 since it allows dual-monitor.

cheers,

Ok, G200 isn't really fast in MAX, but are you sure you're using 16 or 32 bit color? when working in 24 bit, there's no hardware acceleration...

Comment

I am running 32-bit@1280X1024@85Hz: 3D acceleration is enabled, and so 32-bit Z-buffering.

Am I running the G200 beyond its ability?

Actually the "bad" part is the visual: MAX will not redraw properly, and update is really pathetic compared to my TNT2. I had better luck with my Permedia2-based card, especially with regard to redraw.

Comment

I'd suggest a GeForce. Oops, is this the wrong forum?

Anyway, even though 3DSMAX doesn't take as good advantage of T&L as, say, Maya, it will still benefit a lot from it. You won't have dual monitor, but you'll still get a real increase in productivity.

Comment

Hmm, 32 bit color, 32 bit Z-buffer at 1280 consumes quite some memory. Unless you have the 8MB add-on that leaves very little for textures. Sure, there's AGP and stuff, but it's not very good for performance anyhow.
          The G200 isn't a very good 32-bit performer. Try switching to 16 bit. (both color and z-buffer)

Comment

Thanx ET for suggestion, but my system has problem with nVidia drivers, so GeForce is out of qns. The G200 is in fact a friend's, and I am hopping to get a replacement soon.

My current option is G400 and 3Dlabs VX1, but since I'm an occassional gamer I'd really like to get the G400. What I need now is some feedback on the NT OpenGL/Driver situation for G400.

cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X