Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance differences g400 flavors vs ATI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance differences g400 flavors vs ATI?

Ok I am trying to decide which video card will best fill my needs. I'd love to go G400, the video quality seems to top everything else out there, and a really want the Dual Head feature.

Are there any benchmarks or other tests showing the performance differences between the 16M, 32M and MAX versions all with dual head of course? Pricing seems to be about $108 vs $134 vs $180. Even the lowest should kill my PCI 4M ATI 3D Pro Turbo (Rage II+) I'm guessing, though it will probably go in as I put my system together, at least for a few weeks. My ATI has been perfectly satisfactory though, playing games of it's vintage. I can't try new games because my processor is too slow! (P133)

Also, I've noticed prices on the current crop of ATI video cards are falling off a very high precipice with no signs of hitting bottom. Rage Fury Maxx for less than half of the price 6 months ago?? Rage Fury Pro 32MB for only $90? Do these cards really suck, or did they just not sell as well as vendors hoped and everyone is trying to get rid of all of them before the Radeon boards come in? I'm thinking the latter..

I am still leaning towards the G400 MAX even though it's STILL $180 - does this thing ever come down in price?? That would make it the second most expensive part of my system, after the monitor, but I figure with a really good monitor I'll be able to tell the difference and my eyes will thank me. I also tend to wait a good six months to a year (or longer!) to get the cutting edge technology, so I figure the MAX would better hold me off until the G800 is a reasonable price, than any of the ATIs or lower G400s.....

Sorry to ramble on. Has anyone gone through a similar thought process? Thanks for your thoughts!

Aaron

'I am still leaning towards the G400 MAX even though it's STILL $180 - does this thing ever come down in price?? That would make it the second most expensive part of my system, after the monitor, but I figure with a really good monitor I'll be able to tell the difference and my eyes will thank me.'

I agree I would go for the G400MAX myself. And IMO $180 is a bargin. I remember purchasing my first Matrox card a Millennium I with 2MB of WRAM and spending $324 for it. But after seeing it's image quaility I knew it was worth it.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

You're right, $180 is a bargain. I just have my computer building maniac father as a bad influence who never pays more than $50 for a video card and always gets generic.

It's easy to forget how good we have things these days. I remember upgrading my first computer, a 486SX33, from 4MB to 8MB or RAM, cost me $135, and that was a good price! Or my 15" monitor that cost me $400 (at least it technically isn't outdated though and still works!) Or my $200 Gravis Ultrasound MAX that they stopped making.... oh wait, Creative is still charging $200 for their top of the line sound card. >:-)

Aaron

Comment

Just in case you won't see my reply in the other thread:

I use an Celeron 566 FC-PGA @ 952MHz !!!

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Well, i paid over $400 to go from 4meg to 16megs on my 486, and i got a deal too.

I also paid almost $300 for my MAX shipped to my door from Matrox.

Comment

The answer on ATI's prices is that recently they have publicly announced what many secretly knew all along - that they just don't care about driver development.

They made a press release saying they would NEVER make Win2k drivers for the Rage Fury MAXX, and have quite publicly told more than one person that they wouldn't finish the Win9x drivers for it either.

So yes, ATI prices are dropping... but then again do you want a great piece of hardware that will NEVER have drivers?

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Joel, I still have my millenium 1, do you ?

------------------
              Cloudy
              Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
              2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
              Cloudy
              Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
              2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Working...
              X