Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ant, is this the official release?

got this from http://www.firingsquad.com/news/default.asp#1778 :

Matrox Graphics today formally announced the Millennium G450 Series, based on the Matrox
    G450 chip which integrates DualHead, DVI, and TV output. This new series of graphics cards
    consists of the Millennium G450, a powerful dual-VGA, 2D, 3D, DualHead, and DVD
    graphics card, and the Millennium G450 DVI, which adds DVI support. As the company that
    pioneered DualHead technology, Matrox is now taking its award-winning dual-display feature set
    to a new level. The corporate level, that is.

The Millennium G450 Series' DualHead technology provides immediate and valuable benefits by
    letting users double their display real estate by connecting two displays to a single graphics card.
    In fact, the Millennium G450 supports as many as six different configurations of VGA monitor,
    analog flat panel, and TV via two VGA connectors and one adapter cable. The Millennium
    G450 DVI supports an additional three display configurations.

Equipped with up to 32 MB DDR memory, the Matrox G450 chip builds on the Matrox G400's
    technology- with a die-shrink to 0.18 micron. Plus, it integrates a digital flat panel transmitter, TV
    output encoder, secondary RAMDAC, and 64-bit DDR memory interface.

The Millennium G450 will be available via traditional distribution channels in Q3 '00, while the
    Millennium G450 DVI will follow in Q4 '00. Retail pricing for either of the products has yet to
    be determined, but will be announced as the Millennium G450 cards begin shipping.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Yep that's the one I'm just about to post it.

Comment

OK the "real" press release is up in full...
      http://www.murc.ws

Comment

Thanks Ant

btw-I didn't really see any kind of change from the original press release. I wonder if they just wanted to add more fluff?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 15 June 2000).]
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The main difference is that they had not broken G450 into DVI/non-DVI models in the "premature" press release. They also cut themselves some slack by changing the release date from a specific month to "Q3 2000"...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Welcome Back, Dave... I've missed you. (And haven't been on Gaming yet to see why you missed some LAN party )

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'm out of the loop...wasn't there rumored to be a 64mb part?
              Games Box
              --------------
              Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
              ------
              Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
              -------------
              Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

you know what ? i'm not happy

As a G400, G200 owner i'm very disapointed by the press release.

We have waiting one year to see a g450 that will not perform much better than a max. Matrox toke one to do that !!!! I can't believe it.

Well some of you could say "hey barbarella wait for the G800, it will rock ...". Perheaps, but i'm tired to wait

G450 could be a good product, but it seems the price will be about 149 US$, that make not the G450 a low cost product. Low cost product (for me) is 99 $ and less.

Now the question is : Why Matrox didn't release a g400 with at 0,18 and DDR memory in Q1 or something else, but a much horse power G400.

-------------------
                Well G450 PCI and a GF2 is not bad

Comment

Its great, that Matrox gave us the option to buy the card without that DVI. Why on Earth I need it? I think that the first price of 145$ was for card with DVI, and hope that the "short" card will worth at least 20$ less.

Comment

Hi Dualbuzzer ;-)

Seen ever those DLP and ILDA projectors !?!?
                    (The frist one is micromechanical mirror chip from TI
                    and the later is reflective ferroelectric LCD ..)
                    Those projectors are amazing : You can see separate pixels as
                    sharp squares on the wall !
                    - And there's lots of em .. up to 1800x1600 ;-)
                    (TI did manufacture HDTV-projector - kinda proto though ..)

So what's the trick ? - These devices are pixel
                    addressable and digital in nature !!
                    (Even the LCD uses PWM modulation.)
                    With DVI You can address every picture element directly !!
                    AND IT makes THE difference : Picture is not
                    blurred anymore like with analogic signal.

I got one of these (DLP from 3M) on my hands
                    few days ago : Gaming on five meters tall
                    bright picture on the wall !!
                    .. And the resolution was 1024x768 8p
                    (It was driven by GeForce 2 .. Matrox should really
                    beef up the driver and HW-performance ..)

Comment

The main difference in the press releases is that now instead of a single Millennium G450 DVI released in July 2000 there will be a Millennium G450 and a Millennium G450 DVI released in Q3 and Q4 respectively. Matrox have also removed the pricing structure from the press release and have said this will be made available as the Millennium G450 ships.

Comment

Hi Ant,

any idea if or when they'll release more details such as clock speeds for example ?

Or will they still remain in silence about that like they always did before ?

Cheers,
                        Maggi
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I know this is a little OT, but what do you guys think the chances are that the long delay was to get the G800 ready too, that way they can send them both out the door at the same time...
                          So you(Matrox) have a $250 game card with Matrox quality, and if anyone bitchs about you not putting out something cheaper and still ok for games you can point to the G450 and say, "There buy that!" Kinda like the whole G400 16meg SH and a G400 MAX thing... but this way they only have to produce a couple different versions of the G800 and leave the G450 for the buisness users.

Man im WAAAAYYYYY OT!
                          I sure HOPE this is the reason for delays, or Matrox might have just shoot themselves in the foot for 'Gamers Market' (not me of you of course... just the nVidiots and 3df'ers) All purely speculation

Keep the flame throwers on low please. Its already hot enough in CA for me....

Comment

No prob, Dyre ...

I surely hope you're right in that one !!!

And I think you're pretty much ON topic ...

Cheers,
                            Maggi
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I'd be very suprised if Matrox went public about clock and memory speeds.

I think the delay in the G450 has been due to nothing more than delays in its own development and nothing to do with the G800.

G800? I'd be thinking Q1 2001 myself

Comment

Working...
                              X