RT-2000 and "frame accuracy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT-2000 and "frame accuracy"

I tried to make this post before, but the message board problems ate it up (along with the rest of the thread.) Here it is again, because I think it's good info. Here's the compatibility chart in question.

www.matrox.com/videoweb/support/rt2000/rec/1394_devices21.htm

Here's my post that got screwed up!

I just called Matrox yesterday asking about this exact concern...the "frame accurate only for 30 seconds"

I'm getting ready to upgrade my video set-up (I'm basically a novice pro-sumer), and will be considering the RT-2000 rig. (Also considering the Pinnacle DV500). I've been shopping for a new digital cam-corder to go with the PC set-up, so I took note of all those "30 second" accuracy limit notes on Matrox's page. That really limited the choices of Digial Camcorders that appeared to work properly. I was bummed. However, I didn't know what Matrox really meany by "frame accuracy."

The guy at Matrox explained that they put that list up pretty hastily because of interest and demand, and admitted that they didn't really explain very well what everything means. (They plan to fix that shortly.)

The "frame accuracy" isn't really a big deal. What he told me, was that when doing batch recording sessions (longer than 30 seconds for the * cases noted), there may be a few (he mentioned about 4) extra frames added to the end of the capture. (It doesn't stop *exactly* where it's suppossed to.) Starting is typically "spot on" though.

This is no big deal to me at all, and I suspect not a concern for most others either. Hell, I'm used to analog capturing where I'm always trimming the begging and ending of clips anyway. This issue certainly won't prevent me from getting a cam-corder where the only "problem" is the sync after 30 seconds issue. So I may have to trim a few frames at the end of a capture.

Anyway, based on that info I ended up ordering a Sony DCR-TRV10, even though it has this "frame accuracy" problem. If I do end up getting the RT-2000 rig, I'm, not concerned about it.

Hope that helps!

-- Joe

[This message has been edited by I M Joe (edited 12 January 2000).]
    If a bear shits in the woods and no one is around, does it stink?

Hey Dude, like the name.

Comment

Heh,

My original User Name was Joe DeFuria, but I didn't even get to make a SINGLE POST using that name because it wouldn't take the password. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your "My user name is borked up" naming convention.

-- Joe

------------------

Comment

No problem. I just hope you don't have to go through all the variations I listed in the other thread like I had to several months ago.

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that I will not have to purchase new camera equipment.

-Stew

Comment

That Matrox has even posted a compatability page shows you how committed they are to the RT2000 and its future users. This page is a work in progress. I have been working with them and letting them know about issues they need to concentrate on. The top of my list is the TRV900 & TRV9. They know understand how popular these cams are and they will work extra hard on getting them to work 100%.

I've also pointed out to them how the new Athlons are working. They said that while they have not certified any Athlons, they also have not failed any. It's just limited resources. So I said I'd get one and test the RT2000 in it. I hope to start that process this weekend.

Gary

------------------
            The Electronic Mailbox
            800 323-2325
            http://www.videoguys.com
            The Digital Video Editing & Production Experts
            The Electronic Mailbox
            800 323-2325
            http://www.videoguys.com
            The Digital Video Editing & Production Experts

Comment

Great work Gary. Excited to hear more about it.
              Will it be possible to order the RT2000 PAL
              version, from Videoguys.com to ship it to
              Europe/Denmark?

A future TR2K'er
              Eyvind

eyvind@eyvind.dk

Comment

Working...
              X