G450 won't be any faster than G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 won't be any faster than G400

I called matrox and asked if the g450 would be any faster than the g400, they said no. The only reason for the g450 was so that it was cheaper to build oem systems. So to everyone that thinks the g450 will be faster than a g400 are mistaken. Your max will still be faster than the g450. That is what matrox told me.

Why wouldn't it be faster? it has exact the same memory bandwidth as the G400, and 1/3 higher clockspeed for the core. Maybe Matrox did not say it waas faster, because otherwise gamers think the G450 is also gaming orientated, and will complain the performnce is note as good as competitor's cards like the GeForce etc...

Comment

Well, if it is aimed at the OEM market, a 166Mhz core would be sufficient, wouldn't it? Maybe the DDR bus doesn't work as effecitively with the G450 as the SDR bus did with the G400. Anyway, there could be alot of reasons why the peformance delta could be small.

Oh, and the bandwidth to core clock ratio will probably be lower in the G450 compared to the G400. So the performance won't scale linearly at high resolution and high bit depths.

-AJ

Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

I personally feel that the G450 will have a slight edge over the G400MAX. I also feel that with the .18 micron build and the DDR memory that the overclocking potential of the G450 will be great than that of the G400MAX.
        Of course I could be wrong but this is just my 2 cents worth.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm of the same mind as Joel, I think the G450 will be faster than the G400Max, slightly...
          I doubt they would make a .18 core and clock it at 125Mhz or lower to make it same as or slower than the Reg. G400, it's more likely that they will use a 150Mhz core and 166Mhz DDR, but we'll see soon...

Hey Ant, did they give any clue as to when you will have a eval board avalible?? or (if you have it) when you can post a review??

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Working...
          X