Please tell me I´m doing something wrong and Win2k 5.10 isn´t this bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me I´m doing something wrong and Win2k 5.10 isn´t this bad

Ok. Costumizable refresh rates is good but the D3D and Opengl drivers are cheeeeesy. Sorry, but many many things that worked aren´t working anymore, shame.

Here´s what I found (I hope Haig is reading this as it costed me the whole afternoon)

Things that work:
    Blood2: Works fine.
    Doom3d: Works. Menus are currupted
    Ford Racing Demo: Works.
    Forsaken demo: Works, but stutters.
    GP500 demo: Works
    Interstate82 demo: Works
    Midown Madness demo: Works fine. Can´t go higher than 640x480.
    Nfs III: It works fine. Much better than win9x. Go woonder
    Nfs5 demo:It works (slow). It has fog (OMG fog in a EA game with a G400) but the car tires smoke is green tinted
    Quake2: Big, Big improvement. Strangely, higher res didn´t scale that well, it appears that trilinear has a heavier performance hit than in win98.
    Re-volt demo: Works fine. Better than it did. Hey look, 1024x768x32bit FSAA (not exactly @ 60fps, but...)
    Tomb Raider 2: Works fine (like anyone cares )
    Turok2 demo: Works
    Unreal 225 D3D: Works fine 1024x768x32
    Alien vs Predator: Works fine and fast.
    Beetle Buggin' Demo: Woks fine. Groovy game
    Breakneck demo: Works fine
    Daikatana demo (yes I downloaded it): Works fine.
    Kingpin: Works fine, ogl fade bug visible.
    Kyodai beta: it works
    Monster Truck Madness2: It works.
    Mortyr demo: works fine.
    MS NBA 2000: Works fine.
    MDK2: seems faster.

Now this is the worst part:
    Messiah Compatibility test: Menus are all garbled. Game doesn´t work, exiting to windows. It worked fine with 5.0x.
    Motoracer2: Doesn´t work- just a black screen, have to kill it through task manager. It worked with 5.0x
    SBK2000 demo: Doesn´t work, never did. "Cannot open sprite file, you must create D3D before" - geezz EA, even your apps tell you what to do...
    Shogo MAD:Works, but the sky is currupted (the textures in the polygons seem to be shimmering) Didn´t do that before.
    Half-life 1.0.1.6: Oh my god. Doesn´t Matrox have HL installed in any of their computers? HL in OGL is currupted, black and coloured lines all over the screen. Works fine in d3d and with 5.06 drivers ICD.
    Swedish Touring Car Championship demo: Doesn´t work. Can´t see menus background and the game doesn+t start. Worked fine with 5.0x.
    TOCA2: DOESN´T WORK It worked fine (with a reg hack from NTcompatible.com) with 5.06. Reports a DirectX error.
    Unreal Tournament: Works fine, but anyone knows why can´t I select 640x480 and 800x600?
    Ultimate Race Pro: Doesn´t work "make sure your video card supports 16bit modes and install DirectX5 or higher". Worked fine with 5.0x.
    Quake III arena: 10% less performance.
    Motorcross Madness 2 Trial: It doesn´t work. Runs fine with 5.0x.
    Serious SAM test: Same crap lines on the screen like half-life.
    Final reality doesn´t work anymore
    3dMark2k keeps exiting to windows.

Getting back to 5.06 fixed all. Damn, can I say I´m disapointed These drivers (apart from the customizable refresh rates) are a major step back for me

i read in one of the other posts about the beta drivers that they remove the 640/800 options from games

frankfurt
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Comment

I did a carefull cleaning of matrox entries (files, drivers, registry) and reinstalled 5.10. Good news is that Q3 performance is up to par and yes, the flickering marks on the walls are gone. And Yes I am sure I was using 5.10 ICD before. Good.
      All the other complains reamain, though.
      I will try to tweak up the monitor settings in powerdesk to see if I can get 640/800 back in directX.
      My guess is that 5.10 messes with DirectX too much and some games simply don´t even recognise it.

Comment

I don't know if this is at all possible, but would 'transplanting' the actual driver files (g400xx.sys etc) into the new Powerdesk work like it does in Windows 98? That way, you would get the best of both worlds.

Comment

I tried that too
          I moved g400*.* files from 5.06 setup to 5.10 and installed. The result was PD 5.10 with 5.06 driver files, but monitor costumizations didn´t work at all.

Comment

Last update: Q3 was performing better because it was running on a 16 bit z-buffer. 32-bit z is broken, it hinders performance and marks on the wall are still messed up with 5.10 ICD (32-bit z)

PS: btw, I tried win98 pd 6.0 and it´s simply amazing. Didn´t notice any bugs and a got a very nice performance boost both in d3d and opengl (+100 3dmarks2k, quake2 is performing on par with turbogl for the first time).
            So this prooves Matrox can do superb drivers. Just don´t forget us, poor win2k users, put a little more effort on win2k drivers...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 14 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X