Win2k, AGP2x and G400 32 meg: Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k, AGP2x and G400 32 meg: Anyone?

I have switched from a VIA based system to a BH6 rev 1.01 (BX Chipset) system and it is extremely more stable in Win2k that my pa-2013 rev 2.1 was but I still am not able to run in agp2x with lockups or screen corruption. Anyone have any luck?

------------------
    Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
    Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

I would bet it's your mismatched memory. Try using one stick at a time to see what combination will allow 2X stable.

Rags

------------------
    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Ok i will try that, what do you mean mismatched? I have three sticks of 64 meg pc100 (not the same manufacturer though)

------------------
      Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
      Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

The BH6 doesn't like to run 2X with:

1. Mismatched memory (different mfrs.)
        2. Certain memory in certain slots.
        3. All three dimm slots populated.

Rags

------------------
        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

well crap I have 1 and 3 in my situation anyone have a 128 meg stick for 2 of my 64s LOL

------------------

Comment

Heres what you do bud,
            Drop into VGA mode by changing driver.
            Go into registry and delete anything that says matrox, g400, powerdesk, and also go into your hardrive, and delete anything that says matrox, g400 and powerdesk, then install the latest driver.

boom! agp2x.
            This is because via sucks dick.

------------------
            G400 on a G400
            What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Heres what you do bud,
              Go into registry and delete anything that says matrox, g400, powerdesk, and also go into your hardrive, and delete anything that says matrox, g400 and powerdesk, then install the latest driver.

boom! agp2x.

------------------
              G400 on a G400

Comment

Heres what you do bud,

boom! agp2x.

------------------
                G400 on a G400

Comment

umm Zyn if you would have read my post, I WAS using a VIA based system, but now I am using a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01 which is BX based

------------------

Comment

On this topic, has anyone founf all the appropriate reggy keys to force AGP 1x ?
                    I've looked high and low and I can't find them, a search of this forum brough up some but they didn't work and the reccomendation to use powerstrip, well.. , when I check the agp 1x box and hit apply the box instantly freezes and the settings don't stick.

Comment

Hooch, do you want to force AGP 1x in W2K? Here's a thread on the topic:

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008798.html

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I have the same mobo, same amount of RAM and an o/c'ed Celeron at 450 and had some problems in 98 before having to use 1x AGP (when I only had 64 megs of memory). Since upgrading to 192 MB and Win2k, I am not really sure where I stand... I am assuming that it is the same, but I am guessing that this may not be a solveable problem. I dunno. There seems to be some knowledge of this problem both on this board and at Matrox, but I do not know the cause. In my case, I had problems with just one DIMM. I now only have a total of 2 DIMMS. My memory is CORSAIR PC-100, one piece 64 MB and one piece 128 MB.

This may not be much help, if any, but I just wanted to let you know that I have almost the exact same setup and also have problems.

Comment

I got my system up and running with Win2K AGP2x and its on a VIA based board, check my stats in my sig.

------------------
                          I am one reboot away from prefection

Sys stats:
                          Athlon 800mhz
                          Epox EP-7KXA
                          256MB PC-133 ram
                          Matrox G400 32mb SGRAM SoundBlaster Live MP3+
                          PC-DVD Encore 6x/Dxr3 card
                          33.6 modem (Woohoo ) 28.0 gig Seagate Barrcuda drive 7200rpm baby!!!

www.3dpower.net The coolest place on the net besides this one!!!
                          Staff Member and SuperGeek of the Year at
                          <A HREF="http://www.3dpower.net
                          ski@3dpower.net" TARGET=_blank>www.3dpower.net
                          ski@3dpower.net</A>

Comment

Ah cool thanks paulcs, I'm at work now but I'll give that atry when i hit the homestead.
                            The thread i found previously had listed 3 keys, I messed with them but no workie. I got a good feeling about this one though

Comment

Working...
                            X