Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good BX mobo for overclocked G400 Max to 89Mhz AGP??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good BX mobo for overclocked G400 Max to 89Mhz AGP??

Hi,
    I am in the market for a new BX mobo that can accept new celeron and coppermine. However, I don't like the AGP implementation of the VIA chipset, so I am going with the newer BX board, or wait till the i815E (but heard the performances are average)?? any suggestion for a stable g400max at 89 mhz AGP bus speed!

THanks

My BF6/G400Max run stable @ 95mz AGP.
    How's that?
    chuck

------------------
    ABit BF6, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Soyo BA+ III and BA+ IV

Abit BF6 and BE6-II

MSI 6163 Pro and BXMaster

Asus CUBX (FCPGA)

Gigabyte BX2000, BX2000+, BX7/BX7+ (FCPGA)
      (they use dipswitches and have relatively few FSB settings but are extremely stable)
      Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Getting your AGP card to run at 89 MHz has more to do with your card than your motherboard. You'll note that you got responses listing BX boards from a number of motherboard manufacturers:

Abit
        Asus
        Gigabyte
        MSI
        Soyo

Who's missing. AOpen and Intel? I've gotten several AGP cards to run at 89 MHz on an AOpen board. (Forget about Intel, for obvious reasons.)

If you have problems at 89 MHz, download the PD 5 Registry Hacks from the MURC and force AGP 1X. It's an old Matrox Users trick, and it seems to work more often than not. Whatever you lose from going to AGP 2X to 1X is more than compensated by the overclocked AGP bus and CPU.

It's funny because nVidia users have yet to figure this one out. A registry hack is available, but nobody seems to know what it does, and nVidia sites have reported that it doesn't seem to do anything. (That's because there is little to be gained by AGP 2X in most situations.)

I've advised nVidia users to force AGP 1X to stabilize their boards at 89 MHz, and it just seems to confuse them. I think the math might be too hard. They don't call them nVidiots for nothing.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Anandtech recently did a Roundup of BX Boards running at 133.

C=64

Comment

Yea - agreeing with everybody - as I'm just about to enter the overclocked BX/CuMine arena (with the help of Chuck in another thread ).

My point is, though, I'd almost certainly avoid the i815 option - performances will be average and from everywhere I've seen an overclocked BX system wins the day - but of course the usual overclocking warnings.

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I'd recommend the Asus P3B-F. I'm running my PIII 600E @ 800MHz, and my G400Max (@89MHz) is very well behaved In fact the whole system is running very nicely.

Comment

The Asus P3B-F is that capable, RoGuE? I tossed one of those into my brother's machine recently, and found it to be lacking in some respects. For one thing, the Hard Drive controller couldn't handle a mild overclock of 15% before becoming too unstable to handle DMA transfers.

The rest of the board appears to be pretty solid, though. I was able to get a Celeron 533 running at 992@1.8 for a real short amount of time. Maybe if I had some PC133 sticks, it might have actually lasted beyond 5 seconds of 3DMark... Till the day I finally replace this 128 meg PC100 stick, I'm resorting to a paltry 920@1.75, without DMA.

C=64

Comment

Go for ABIT BE6, BH6 or BX6 rev2.0
                  ASUS should also peform just fine...

Comment

Get a BE6, BE6II, or BF6.

Rags

------------------
                    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Im getting my BE6-2 soon (should have been a BF6 but they sent the wrong one... and i dont have to pay the difference) and will let you know how it does...

Comment

Be6-II here.. Works awesome )
                        running my PIII 550 coppermine at 5.5x160 = 880mhz .. AGP running 106 .. stable as hell.. i've had it running @ 110 but the screen nuts.. but @ 106 it's a dam good card for overclocking..

Comment

Working...
                        X