Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why can't I do 2X?

Hi everyone...

I've built 4 machines over the past few months... 3 with G400 cards. The first BX box runs at 2X AGP. The other 2 with Via mobos are stuck in 1X. Utilities such as AGPSWITCH or POWER STRIP cause immediate or eventual lockups.

The last machine I put together a coupla days ago is a P3600E@897 on a Soyo 6VCA board. When I benched it right after put it together, it was in 2X mode and Wintune gave it a 138MB/sec reading. Somewhere along the line, something occurred that bumped the AGP rate down to 1X. It's Wintune rating has dropped by 15%.

The galling thing is that I swapped out this card from another machine and replaced it with a crappy 8 meg ATI Expert card and *that* card is running merrily at 2X.

CPUID no longer even shows the transfer rate. It's greyed out. Nor does Sandra report the AGP speed.

I reinstalled the G400. Installed the 5.52 drivers and Turbo GL with no luck.

What would cause a card working fine at 2X rate to suddenly revert to 1X? I did reinstall Windows last night following registry corruption while trying to run at 910, but I don't know if that is related at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks much...

No idea to be honest going on the basis that it once worked. You could try checking to see whether the card is seated properly and hasn't moved after it got warmed up.
    Otherwise try the registry hacks on this site they worked for me.
    On another note apart benchmarking you're not missing much by running at AGP X1.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah I know that the performance difference isn't that profound, but when you buy a 4X card you would at least hope to hit 2X.

I'm new around here. Where are these registry hacks?

Comment

You should find them at www.murc.ws
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I've tried everything...

Reinstalled the card with old drivers
          Removed a network card that was sharing the IRG
          Ran the PD5 Registry Hacks
          Tried forcing 2X with Power Strip
          Installed the new drivers again...

This card refuses to budge.

CPUID shows AGP disabled. Power Strip shows it to be enabled.

The performance seems quite good, regardless, but this is bugging the hell out of me, cause I know it could be better.

I even did a scanreg/restore from the day I built the machine, but that only caused it to crash big time.

It's a mystery, all right...

Comment

Working...
          X