Athlon + G400max ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon + G400max ?

I want to buy a new system based on an Abit KA7 + Athlon 700 and want to use the G400max because auf DualHead and it´s superb Image Quality for 2d/3d Graphics Creation.
    I heard in a review that the G400max won´t work in an Athlon system. Is that true? Are there any possibilities to run this system stable? Thanks

------------------
    Lord Lumpi
    Lord Lumpi

No experience myself but looking through the forums seems to indicate that it is possible + no harder than any other Gfx card.

Good luck with it

Uberlad

------------------
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of ten referred to me by name.
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Depends on what you want the system to do. If you want it to be the biggest, baddest Quake machine around, it ain't going to happen.

I have my Abit KA7 and Athlon 700 running pretty smoothly now (*knock on wood*)

Took me about 2 weeks to get all the right files in.

Right now I'm running using the new 4.22 4-in-1 VIA drivers with the VIA 4.03 AGP drivers.

For my G400, I have the 5.52 drivers with the ICD from the 5.41 drivers (so I can play quake). I'm currently playing Quake at 1024x768 single player and it looks great. Rogue Spear at 1280x1024 is really nice!. Asheron's Call works great as well.

So, if you don't mind tinkering around a little bit, it'll make you a great system.

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Hi i also have the ABIT KA7,Athlon 700mhz,G400max 32mb dh and i have had no probs at all (touch wood,fingers crossed)i`m also running the 5.52 drivers

andy

Comment

Hi i also have the ABIT KA7,Athlon 700mhz,G400max 32mb dh and i have had no probs at all (touch wood,fingers crossed)i`m also running the 5.52 drivers

andy

Comment

Thanks to all! My main use for this System is to work in Photoshop and Hash´s Animation Master. Sure I also want to play sometimes but I´m no Frame-Hunter.
            Simply I think there is no Graphics card on the market which would be better for me cause of its Dual Head. The only other Graphics Card would be the E&S Tornado 3000 but I can´t afford it *g* (1300$)
            I´m used to trouble with stability since my current system crashes regular *g*
            Lord Lumpi

Comment

Well as far as I know the Abit KA7 uses a VIA133 chipset (or at least some VIA chipset), and apparently Matrox and VIA chipsets don´t work that well together. So that might be a problem!
              I haven´t had any personal experience with it, but i´m sure someone else knows a lot more about it!
              If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Well as far as I know the Abit KA7 uses a VIA133 chipset (or at least some VIA chipset), and apparently Matrox and VIA chipsets don´t work that well together. So that might be a problem!
                I haven´t had any personal experience with it, but i´m sure someone in here knows a lot more about it!
                If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I haven´t had any personal experience with it, but i´m sure someone in here knows a lot more about it!

Comment

whoops... sorry ´bout that triple post thing!

Comment

Whoops.... sorry ´bout that

(Hope this one doesn´t do the same)

Comment

I really like my combination. The MSI-6167 and the MSI-6195 are nice motherboards. No AGP4x, but nobody notices. And an all-AMD motherboard is quite stable.

------------------
                        MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Phillips CD-R, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH6.1, and Win98 (when I have to).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                        X