HELP - DVD player stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - DVD player stopped working

I came to play a DVD the other day and found that the Matrox DVD player has suddenly stopped working!

I have a G400-MAX and I'm running Win-98SE, it all worked perfectly previously and now the player starts, briefly pops up the chapter index (which doesn't seem to contain much) and closes it again. Then it just sits there.

The DVD drive seems to be working perfectly.
    All I can think of is that I've installed or updated something that has buggered up a system file or something.

I've tried re-installing both the powerdesk and the DVD player and it does the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Can you read the DVD files in Windows Explorer? Can you copy the files to your HD (not necessarily all at once)? and is the drive correctly identified in System properties? Try updating the firmware on your drive. How about other movies? Check your Device Manager and see if everything looks normal (no duplicate sound cards listed etc).

If the files copy correctly and drive is updated and ok and it still doesn't play DVDs, I'd say your drive is ok and you need to reinstall windows (either that or figure out though trial and error which file is bad and replace it).

Comment

Yes, the drive is working perfectly and the devices are all configured OK.

It windows that has screwed up!

I re-installed the OS to another partition, installed matrox PD & DVD player, and my soundcard drivers and it's working perfectly again.

Now I'll have to re-install all my other drivers and applications - what a pain in the arse!

Comment

My sentiments exactly. Kinda takes the fun out of the hobby doesn't it. Wonder who's to blame? Matrox for writing driver configurations that can be written over by, say a Windows update (DirectX, or Media Player)? Or Microsoft for writing updates which screw up your existing driver configurations?

I recently discovered by reading this forum that the Matrox DVD module can be made to work with the latest drivers by installing MGI's DVD navigator. Have tried the prescribed method without success, and apparently will have to format and reinstall Windows because of filter, driver conflicts.

Same thing happened to me when I started working with Firewire, DV, and MSP 6.0. Kept getting an error that no one has ever heard of "Unable to build preview graph". The solution there was to format and reinstall Windows.

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Hearn (edited 09 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X