Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual head, what can and can't you do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual head, what can and can't you do with it?

I've thought about getting the G400(or Max) for many reasons, but was curious about the dual head feature. First, I run my main monitor in 1152x864. Is it possible to run the second monitor in a different resolution like 1024x768 or 800x600? Second, I'm about to join Everquest(main reason in getting a 3d board). Can I run everquest in the second monitor while I have a browser open in the first(or other internet apps), or vice versa? Third, on occasion I have to use a free ad based isp to connect to the net. Is it possible to use the dual head feature to move the ad banner to one of the monitors so I can save desktop space on the one I'm working on?
    I run win98 with 96 megs ram and a k6-3 450. Thanks for any help.

Andrew

<OL>[*]Yes.</LI>[*]No.</LI>[*]Yes.</LI>[/list=a]

Comment

on the third question it depends on the ad banner, many cannot be moved to the second screen instead they dock themselves to the toolbar.
      On the second query if the game (dont know about Everquest) in question was windowed you can run it on the primary monitor only!, and surf on the second.

I have done this myself. If you try running it overlapping or completely on the second monitor it runs like a dog. Dont know why exactly but i'm guessing its direct x based.

Love to know the real reason.

------------------
      P3 500@600Mhz, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,128Mb 100SDram,BT ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Huappuage WinTV,Pioneer 6xDVDslot,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.
      P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Comment

It is possible to have the second monitor at a different resolution in Windows 98, not Windows 2000

Comment

I dont know why Spire said no to the second question, i was playing UO:Renaissance with dual monitors, and i had a web browser open in the second window while i was in playing in the primary window.

Frankfurt
          Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
          WinXP Professional SP1
          Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
          3COM 905C

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to getting one, probably the Max.

Comment

skeosh - the second head is much slower than the primary head. It has a slower/separate RAMDAC.

Comment

Frankfurt, I've tried to run EQ in the previously mentioned manner, but it will NOT work. They've gone to the trouble of trying to insure you can not do anything but play EQ while it's running. Verant/Sony's ultra paranoid about cheating.If you try to ALT-TAB to switch to the desktop in singlehead mode it'll just lock the computer up. And you can't move the mouse off the edge of the screen to use the secondary display in dualhead mode.

Comment

Working...
                X