Get rid of drivers under Win2k...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of drivers under Win2k...

Just replaced my G400 with an Geforce card to add some speed. But the question is how to get rid of the drivers. the uninstall utility from Matrox claims to be for W9x only...
    Any inputs and/or advice?

I run W2K's driver uninstall, which really doesn't remove much, boot into VGA mode, and remove the drivers manually. Matrox drivers typically begin with mga, g400, or g200.

I then search the registry for matrox, g200*.*, g400*.*, and mga*.*.

I'm not an expert on Windows 2000, by any stretch of the imagination, and this is an improvisation. You probably want to wait for one of the W2K gurus to chime in and confirm or dispute my instructions.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Sounds good, Paul. It really doesn't matter though - unlike Windows 98, Win2k won't load in drivers for your old hardware - if it's not in the machine, you can't run the driver.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
        I´m starting to hunt down the "pdesk.exe" as it runs as an service according to my taskmanager....

Comment

There are a couple of 'run at startup' things you might want to get rid of:
          First off is powerdesk which you can kill from the registry at this location:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
          Secondly, there's a service called MGABGEXE which can be disabled from the services manager.

Comment

Don´t forget to delete the in winnt\inf oemX.inf and oemX.pnf.
            X here is a number, mine is 0, but I guess it depends of the order you install your drivers.

Just look for the one that starts like:

;Install.inf
            ;
            ;Installation inf for the Matrox Graphics graphics adapters.
            ;Copyright 1996-1999, Matrox Graphics Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X