Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody running a G400 and V3 2k/3k PCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody running a G400 and V3 2k/3k PCI?

I've recently got a G400 DH (non Max) and am a little disappointed with the fact that I need to reboot to switch from single to dual monitor. OpenGL games don't run and D3D games run slow while in dual mode. This forces me to boot when I want to take a quick break from work and play a game of Q2 or UT deathmatch.

The other problem is that I have two 19" monitors and prefer to run them at 1280x1024x32bit. The G400 can't get the second monitor over 75hz and I can't deal with the flicker. I end up having to run it at 1152 res, which breaks up the continuity of the desktop, and any work I drag back and forth.

So here's my thought - get a V3 2000 PCI to run the second monitor. This way, the G400 is always running my primary. The V3 always runs my secondary at 1280 and a proper refresh rate. The added benefit is that I can use the V3 for Glide games if needed.

So my question is, Is anyone already doing this? Will I have a problem with D3D games not knowing which card to use (I know how to take care of this for OGL)? Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any info.

[This message has been edited by flenn (edited 01 June 2000).]

As far as the 2D is concerned, the combo works well - its a smart choice actually...

Glide works OK - IF the app is well written - but I cannot comment on the D3D; the only D3D program I have installed right now is 3Dmark, which isn't multimonitor-aware (it only sees the G400). Since you would probably want to use the G400 anyway, I doubt you'd have any problems...

Comment

Ashley,

Do you have this combo? Also, would there be any conflict between the Matrox DH drivers and setting up Win98 SE for dual monitors? I'm wondering if maybe Win98 will see the second head on the G400 when I enable "expanded desktop"

BTW, 3dmark2000 did see both my G200 and V2 and let me choose which one I wanted to run.

Comment

flenn-
        You don't need to reboot to go from single to dual monitor mode.
        If you simply uncheck the "extend my desktop to this monitor", you can then play OGL games.

Granted, it's not quite as good as fully diabling dualhead (which does require a rebbot). The cards memory is still split between the heads. But without the desktop extended, OGL will work, and D3D will be a little faster...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

This doesn't work for me. It may be the combination of drivers or the VIA chipset on my MSI 6309 but Q2 locks up hard, and UT and MXMadness required Alt-Ctrl-Del to get back to the desktop.

I think I'm pretty sold on getting another vidcard, that way I'll get the full performance out to the G400 without having to reboot and take care of the refresh rate problem.

Another benefit will be the ability to surf the net while waiting for someone to drop out of a full Q2 game. I know that probably sounds stupid but I got used to it with my G200/VirgeVX/V2 combo. If the game server was full, I would keep trying to connect on one monitor and surf on the other (I tend to want to play the same couple servers). Right now, I have to quit Q2 and periodically ping through Gamespy until the game opens up.

Comment

I do happen to have a box right now with a G400 and a Voodoo3 2000 - the G400 is currently a SH but when I had a DH in there were no problems with DH enabled or disabled.

I only use this system for testing, but I do test under both ME and Windows 2000, and at a resolution of 2048x1536 (the V3 for some reason does 2046, not 2048).

The Voodoo2 (and this applies to the PVR1 and VG as well) is just a 3D device as far as Windows is concerned; it does not "qualify" as a display card. You will see it listed as a Rendering Platform option in 3Dmark, but you won't see any non-primary display cards listed.

Comment

Wondering if a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI would be a good choice, when it hits the market ?
              Having FSAA and Glide on one card and EMBP and nice colors on the other. Don't want to give up my matrox card

Comment

Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend the Voodoo5. It lacks a lot of important features, it has just catched up with the original TNT chip. And Glide is dying, 3dfx has dropped further improving of this API, so Glide support for you card is unneeded since noone is going to use it anymore. However, as it seams now the upcoming ATi RADEON is probably going to rock. With an alpha board and alpha drivers it were beating GeForce DDR and almost as fast as a GeForce 2. And this card got every feature you'll need right now, including FSAA.

Comment

I am currently using a vanilla g400 DH, would it be better to go to a SH and another vid card for the second monitor?

Jeff
                  -We stop learning when We die, and some
                  people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                  Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                  - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                  - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

I am currently using a vanilla g400 DH, would it be better to go to a SH and another vid card for the second monitor?
                    Only you would know the answer to this Duty. You read why I'm having a little problem but if this doesn't apply to you, and you're happy with your current setup, why would you bother.

Comment

flenn,

I guess I should preface this with "Is the over all performance better" Sorry.

I have not been able to play games in a long time (work, school, ect.) I can now (for a short time) and was just wondering if there was a substantial boost in performance and functionality by making the change (just curious for gamming).

Mostly I am asking because the current driver state on win2k is not where I would like it for my work (software and web development) and was thinking about this sort of change to fix the problem there (gaming is just cake). If I want to have control of my monitors the way I like, I need to be in win98, but I would like the ability to get the use out of both my processors and the added stability (ergo win2k or NT4). Crash an IDE a few times and you can understand my frustration with working in 98.

So, before asking this I should have explained better the reasoning behind my question...

Sorry.

Jeff
                      -We stop learning when We die, and some
                      people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                      Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                      - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                      - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Working...
                      X