Matrox G400 and VIA chipsets: solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 and VIA chipsets: solutions

I get a lot of questions concerning the Matrox G400 and lockups with VIA based systems. We've found a few solutions that might work for you. The most important message for owners of VIA KX133 based motherboards is: disable "SD-RAM Bank Interleave" in your Bios. I can't post it all right here, have a look at: http://www.au-ja.de/review-g400s-eng.html

German users might try: http://www.au-ja.de/idx-review-g400.html

hope this helps! It worked for me!

I was told to use the 4.17 4in1's from VIA instead of the 4.20's.

This now allows me to start Q3.

I used to hang after the id splash screen.

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Electric Amish. Yes, with 4.17 Quake3 works but you haven't the AGP enabled under directX. Try to launch DXDIAG and see what it reports !

In another thread I read a nice compromise:
      use the 4.02 VIA AGP driver, PD 5.52 and substitute the g400icd.dll with the one contained in PD 5.30.

It seems to work, not very fast but it works.

Bye,

Comment

Yes Brama that solution was suggested to me in another thread and it did the trick.Performance isnt optimal but it works at least.
        P3 450@504
        Abit BH6
        128mb pc100
        G400 32mb sh oem
        Mx300
        Kenwood 42x True-X
        Standard floppy
        6.4 Seagate Ultra ata/66 HDD
        8.4 Quantum Bigfoot TS(lol slave)
        Altec Lansing ACS-48's
        JBL Medis 2000's
        Soho 10/100 PCI NIC
        NEC MultiSync XV17+
        Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

I just bought a gladiac for my work computer which has a new via chipset, and have been having much the same problem as you guys with your G400's, I have one of my own but it runs fine in 2X.

With the via chipset I found that 401 and 402 run REALLY slow, In our game engine at 800x600 I get 60-70fps, with the 417 I get 120+

I am wishing they bought a MB without a via chipset at work, but I had no choice in the matter. The thing is the lead prog as a new ABIt with the copermine version of my CPU clocked from 650 -750mhz and he gets 10fps with his TNT2 card

So I'm pretty frustrated. One things for sure though. Judging by the number of patches avaliable for MB with the via chiopset this isn't the only time VIA sucked ass, and I won't be gerring one of their boards for my next home machine which will hopefully have a G800 (if the drivers are more stable in 3D Apps)

Comment

Heres your VIA problem solution..

Drop the VIA chipset motherboard and get a mobo with a chipset that works.

I've had plenty of experience with VIA chipset and they do indeed suck. Its like the software team and the hardware team dont talk to each other. Youd think VIA chips and VIA drivers would work with each other but they dont. Sometimes a VIA driver will cause VIA chips to start conflicting, etc.

VIA just plain sucks.
            Abit BX6 Rev.1
            Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
            192 meg RAM, CAS2
            13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
            6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
            HP8110i 4x2x24
            Pioneer DVD-104
            SB Live! 1024
            USB ZIP 100
            G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
            Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
            YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Wow, someone beat me to it. *sigh*

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Just to reiterate.. VIA sucks.

I dunno why people keep on buying those damn motherboards. Does not matter if you have a tricked out system or some cheesey email/web terminal.. the stuff DOES NOT WORK..

And its so PAINFULLY obvious that they do not work and people keep on buying them! I just do not get it... nope, don't get it.

I just don't understand why people spend their good money on a product that will yield to them at best sub-par performance.

Its like people want to get to the other room. But, becuase they bought a VIA shirt which has no openings for your arms, and you cant open the door, and you just keep on bangin up on the door.. thinking that maybe, just MAYBE it'll work this time..

Seriously... sell that VIA mobo turd and buy another non-VIA mobo.. the sudden lack of frustration will feel so good.
                Abit BX6 Rev.1
                Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
                192 meg RAM, CAS2
                13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
                6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
                HP8110i 4x2x24
                Pioneer DVD-104
                SB Live! 1024
                USB ZIP 100
                G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
                Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
                YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Well there isn't much in the way of alternatives. One of my colleagues at work has a PIII 700 running on an i820 board with SDRAM. Even though it has a GEFORCE with DDR memory, the performance is substantially inferior to my work machine with a PIII 650 and vanilla G400 running on a BX chipst motherboard.

In the last two years, I've built 4 computers, 2 with Via chipsets (MVP3 and KX133) and 2 with BX (BP6 and BH6). I used G400s with the BH6 and EP-7KXA motherboards. Of these systems, I had by far the most problems with the BP6 - couldn't get the G400 to run without inevitably locking up except by crippling it (5.13(?) driver and agp x1). I did manage to fix this problem by swapping my G400 with another. The BP6, aside from some lame bios versions, also had the infamous HPT366 IDE controller - this has to be the epitomy of crap - good only for using up excess irqs.

In my view there is room for improvement all around. I have doubts as to whether either VIA or Matrox (or, to be fair, many other vendors) do adequate beta testing. I would also like to see Matrox integrate a proper uninstall program with their drivers so they can be uninstalled prior to installing updated versions without lots of fiddling.

Robert Inkol

Comment

For all you people who have VIA based boards that can't seem to figure out how to use them and want to get rid of they, just send them my way. I could use a few more good stable systems in my house. Of course I won't pay you for them because as you said I would be throwing my money away but at least you won't have to worry about them anymore.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I think it's possible, however unlikely, that some people can get Via based boards running Ok.

I've got a Epox MVP3G5 that's currently running my G400 Max at AGPx2 without being forced, and is quite stable when using the 5.30+TGL. The Q3A demo and Quake 2 both run good, along with the demo for Superbike 2000 (Very, very nice looking game).

When I installed my SBLive!, I had no crackling problems even though the SBPCI64 that it replaced did. I guess I'm one of the few lucky people who got a G400+MVP3+SBLive! to work without a hitch.

Comment

I have to say that IMHO the kx133 is a descent chipset with quite adequate 9x drivers. But the W2K drivers suck. As for your sblive problem, that was proven to be a Epox problem solely and had nothing to do with Via, this was included in on of the the latest Epox release notes. I have a asus K7V and have been quite happy with it for the most part. There seems to be a trend with all the latest chipsets be it via or intel having issues. I do miss my trusty bx.
                        Asus K7V
                        Athlon 700
                        128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                        Matrox Millennium g400max
                        Adaptec 2940U2W
                        IBM 9gb U2W
                        Plextor 8/20 cdr
                        Diamond MX300
                        3com 905b-tx

Comment

Let's all chant in unison:

i815
                          i815
                          i815
                          i815
                          i815

It's become my personal mantra.

Let's hope it's not another disappointment.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I'll never understand this uprising against Via. My last two computers have been Via based and I have had little to no problems with them.

Can't any of you admit that perhaps it's pilot error and not 100% chip based? I know people who have trouble with Intel chipsets - does that mean they suck? No.

Would you rather we only had a single choice in chipsets? I imagine you like your $150 motherboards. If you only have the Intels to pick from, what do you think the price would be? It's called competition and it's healthy for everyone.

If you don't like Via, don't buy a board with Via chips. But don't spout "They suck - no one can get them to work". Plenty of us have working Via-based computers.

*sigh*
                            PIII 550@605
                            IWill Motherboard VD133
                            VIA Chipset
                            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                            DirectX 8.0a
                            SB Live! Value
                            8x DVD (Toshiba)
                            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                            3Com CMX Cable Modem
                            Optiquest V95 19"
                            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                            Microtek flatbed scanner
                            Intellimouse Explorer
                            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Interesting to note that someone posts some useful information for a specific chipset, and is deluged with "VIA Sucks!" posts. Find something worthwhile to do with your time...

Anyone needs advice on Matrox cards and VIA 133A chipsets, will be glad to help out.

Comment

Working...
                              X