Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haig-Anyone please help Marvel playback probs/motherboard/irq conflicts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig-Anyone please help Marvel playback probs/motherboard/irq conflicts?

Hi,
    After unresolving my probs with DVD playback and general weird hard drive ness, together with my Motherboard only working when it felt like it. I have purchased a shiny new Abit Be6 motherboard. After hearing rave reviews about it on the web and from my friends who all have one now.

But after freshly installing windows im having probs with my marvel.

When i playback mjpeg files, either the ones i already have or the ones that are freshly captured. On playback there is a jitter its droping every other frame kinda like an NTSC dvd on a pal tv only worse. Everything is set correctly in Dvdmax (or as it was when it worked before)
    and the fact that it is a regular jitter must mean something but i know not what.

I fear it may have something to do with IRQ conflicts but im not sure?

anyone had any experience with the ABIT BE6 motherboard and a Marvel G400?

my IRQs look like this...
    00 System timer
    01 Standard 101/102 keyboard
    02 Programmable interupt controller
    03 Communications Port COM2
    04 Communications port COM1
    05 AdvanSys PCI SCSI Host Adapter
    06 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    07 Printer Port LPT1
    08 System CMOS/ Realtime clock
    09 Creative SB16 Emulation
    10 Creative SB Live
    10 Intel 82371/1AB/EB PCI to USB
    10 Matrox Marvel G400 AGP - English
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Highpoint Technology INC HPT366 UDMA Controller
    11 Highpoint Technology INC HPT366 UDMA Controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible mouse port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Intel 82371/1AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE controller
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371/1AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE COntroller (dual fifo)

Phew that took a while to copy lol

I am using Powerdesk 5.41 and vid tools .51e (or whatever the latest are :O) i cant remember
    I tried with 5.30 but same result

I hope you guys can help me, im hoping its an established prob that easy to fix....

I have my hard drives configured on the Highpoint UDMA 66 controller and files play jerky of any of them.

umm cant think of any more details that will help except that it all worked before so it must be something to do with the ABIT BE6 or the way the bios is configured or windwos setting it wrong right???

please help... your my only hope....
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

CMB,

have you tried the following from the matrox faq's question #10.
    I’m having a lot of problems with skipped frames. What is a good way for me to set up my video and hard drive under Win 9x?

- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System, click the "Performance" tab, and click "File System". There, you will find "Read ahead optimization" set to "Full". Change it to "None". Then click the "Troubleshooting" tab and put a check mark in the "Disable write-behind caching for all drives".
    - Make sure you disable all screen savers, anti-virus programs, fax/modem software and fancy wallpaper. You can restart all these programs when you are done editing.
    - It is recommended to use a dedicated 2+ GB hard drive just for video clips. If you can't afford a second drive, at least create a dedicated partition on your primary drive for video only. Don't put any programs on this drive/partition. Defrag this drive/partit

ion before any important video capture, and before you render your finished movie.
    - If while you are capturing or playing back video, and you notice that your primary C: drive is clicking away (assuming you capture video to a dedicated drive) this could be your problem. Make sure that your swap file is located on the same drive as your video captures. Having a swap file on the C: drive, while capturing to the D: drive will cause you to drop frames. Place the swap file (virtual memory) on your fastest drive.

-also question #11 of video faq's (set 1)

hope this helps-

one other thing is to check the location of pci cards on the mobo. make sure that there is no busmastering card in the pci slot below the agp.

evil

[This message has been edited by evil twin (edited 13 January 2000).]

Comment

Hey,

How the hell did you manage to get 3 things sharing 1 irq ????

That aint good at all!

First off disable SB16 Emulation, it's crap anyway and NOT needed at all!

Then try and change either your SBlive or Marvel to your free irq 9

If windows won't let you change it then try removing sblive from your device list, then reboot, hopefully windows will stick it back on irq 9

Is it normal for the UDMA 66 controller to show up twice on one irq ???

I know none of this irq trouble looks like it has nothing to do with the hard drive problem, but who knows ??? (bill gates sure don't!!) hehehe
      good luck!
      Scouser

Comment

hi guys, thanks ill try these things
        but my point being that everything was fine before until i installed the ABIT so i shouldnt have to disable or alter all these things?? I have the SBLIVE in the PCI right next to the AGP slot and my SCSI card in the one after that. The Highpoint UDMA thing is correct i think.. 2 on one i mean.
        All i can think is that before my Marvel was on 11 and my SBlive was on 5
        ah well i go to try these things.
        also.... I cant enable the DMA checkbox in windows properites for my DVD drive anymore whats that all about????

Would i do best to reinstall windows again, just with my Marvel in, then add the SBLIVE and SCSI one at a time?
        CMB
        Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

If fixing up the irq's don't help, are your hard drives being detected at 66 during boot up?

How many hard drives do you have and how are they configured?

Haig

Comment

hi, ive tried changing the read ahead thing and no joy.

Haig- thanks for replying i wouldnt have used your name in the header apart from the fact i need to be able to playback video a.s.a.p but anyway enough butt kissing :O)

I have a bigfoot 12gig and a IDM DTTA
            on IDE channel 3 as master and slave

in the HD test i get 5-6 for the first 2 and 10-12 respectively they are both UDMA 33
            then on IDE Channel 4 i have my new Maxtor 20 gig UDMA 66(thats mg a a second) for the third.

What im thinking of doing now is re-formatting. then pulling all my cards out except the marvel.

then install windows. when all thats on the irq's are sorted and i should be able to play mjpegs back fine the would just have no sound correct? then i can put my SBlive in PCi slot 2 (irq 5) and then the SCSI in PCI slot 5 that should sort out the irqs...

i suppose my other option is to out a hard drive on the noraml IDE 33 IDE channel 1 or 2 and then try playing back a file.. That would then point to the highpoint UDMA controller built into the card...

the playback rate is fine.. its just seems to be dropping a frame.. i guess i brought this on myself the last post i made on these forums was stating in a thread that i had never had any video probs with my marvel g400..... that was stupid of me wasnt it lol :O)

is there any incompatability between the Marvel G400 and the ABIT BE6????

Comment

Hmm, maybe this is a hard drive configuration also.

The only problem we had heard of with the Abit boards was that it was crashing when in AGP2x mode. This ended up being a seated card issue in some casings.

If you have your Bigfoot(33) and IDM (33)on channel 3 and your maxtor (66) on channel 4, what's on channel 1 and 2?

Channel 3 is a 33 connector right?

Before reformatting, put a drive all alone in channel 1 or 2 and capture/playback on that drive.

Haig

Comment

Hi, Channel 1 and 2 are the motherboards regular IDE channels i have my Dvd drive on Ch 1 master
                3 and 4 are the Highpoint Mass storage thingy controller that uses 66, i set up all my hard drives on these as performance increased on my friends machine using this alone for hard drives. i used to get 4 now i get 6 mg a second. but alas my friend doesnt use his pc to edit or have a matrox card in his

i will try the HD on one of the first ide slots
                but tomorrow for now i go to bed to sleep
                :O)

Comment

CMB,

"I have the SBLIVE in the PCI right next to the AGP slot"

get it out of there!

i think that you should take your own advice and remove all except the marvel.

"All i can think is that before my Marvel was on 11 and my SBlive was on 5"

were they next to each other on the mobo when this was the case?
                  sbl will take more than one irq in any case.

evil

Comment

Hi CMB,

Keep in mind that the IRQs are set by the motherboard BIOS. Reinstalling Windows probably isn't going to cause the BIOS to change it's mind about which IRQs to assign to which devices.

Some BIOS's allow you to manually set which IRQs you want used for each PCI slot. You might try going into your BIOS setup utility and see if you can change the IRQs around so that your SBLive is using a different IRQ than your Marvel.

Rick
                    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Sorry to go off on another tangent here but I think I've noticed an inconsistency here and maybe its due to people mixing up single drive and multi drive configurations, but the post......

- If while you are capturing or playing back video, and you notice that your primary C: drive is clicking away (assuming you capture video to a dedicated drive) this could be your problem. Make sure that your swap file is located on the same drive as your video captures. Having a swap file on the C: drive, while capturing to the D: drive will cause you to drop frames. Place the swap file (virtual memory) on your fastest drive.

I was under the impression that if you have a capture drive (D you should have your swap file on your system drive (C on seperate headers as they can both read /write simultaneously. Now if your swap file is on the same drive as capture/ playback they are going to be trying to Input/Output at the same time causing jittery playback and or dropped framese during capture Is this right????

P4 1.6A @ 2.24 ghz
                      MSI 645 Ultra
                      256 Samsung PC 2700 DDR
                      Matrox Marvel G200
                      etc...
                      ect....

Comment

hi
                        I thought i had this solved. i rejigged all my IRQ's and i changed the settings of the HD drives in the Highpoint UDMA bios instead of
                        UDMA 2
                        UDMA 2
                        UDMA 4

for the 33/33/66

i changed them all to pio mode 4, then all was well and playback was fine, i also lost very little speed.

now the weird part. after screwing around with windows so much i just spent the last 2 hours reinstalling. now when i just tried to playback files. it was jittery again??????
                        but everything is now as it was before???
                        aggggggghhhhhhhh

Comment

Working...
                        X