Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad tv-out with DVD, G400 MAX

Hi folks

I was watching Leon yeasterday with my G400 region 2 PAL encoding. One thing that struck me was the poor output quality of the movie. I had quite a lot of artifacts which I thought looked like MPEG compression flaws. For example when a guy talked in the movie he was standing against a lightly colored wall and when he moved his head he kinda made "skid marks" on the wall, what really happend I guess is that the MPEG info wasn't updated like it should. If im not mistaken this is what MPEG is all about - conserve diskspace thru only updating moving objects in a movie. "So what the f**k is this bonehead complaining about you might think".

Well, I thought my ALIEN 4 movie showed much less of this output imperfection then LEON, AL4 was region 1 and from the "Alien Legacy" box. Could it be that Leon was transferred to DVD with less precition that AL4?

Have a installed a bad set of drivers (The latest both for cinemaster and G400), or have a fiddle with a control too many?

Any input would be appreciated.

------------------
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Striving for perfection
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Striving for perfection

hmm.. are you saying you are playing the leon movie through an mpeg file? if that's the case, i have something to say about it :P

first of all. the quality of the mpeg file depends on how compressed the file is. it also depends on the setting and the quality of the source. if i were you, i would look into divx. the difference is like day and night.

Glarec
    ------
    bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

No,no,no Glarec you missed my point. The movie Leon is on DVD, but DVD is in mpeg2 format - that is what it was all about. The real question was why the quality was so bad on DVD and what could be done for masking the MPEG artifacts away......

------------------
      - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Striving for perfection
      - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Striving for perfection

Comment

It sounds to me like there's nothing wrong with the drivers or software - it's more a case that Leon is just a bad quality disc. Some DVD titles have very sloppy encoding - which makes the image quality look terrible. In general, I think that you'll find that NTSC region 1 discs are produced to a much higher quality - even though NTSC has less lines than PAL - the US discs often look a LOT better. Take LEON back if you can, and try and get hold of an NTSC region 1 copy.
        What do you want a signature for?

Comment

I almost thought so, the reg. 2 are sometimes thought of beeing the worst encodes. I wont take it back thought since it was a gift and the store only carries reg. 2 - usually I tend to buy reg.1 trough Amazon.com

Thanks folks

------------------
          - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Striving for perfection
          - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Striving for perfection

Comment

Working...
          X