• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 Chipset Preview

Go get it:
    http://www.glideunderground.com/previews/g450

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    and burped out a movie

Just read it. Here's quote:

"With the already great 256-Bit DualBus architecture on the G400, which is basically two 128-Bit Databuses working simultaneously, it would be curious why DDR-Ram would be needed, would it create a theoretical 512-Bit DualBus? Unfortunately, this is not the case as Matrox has decided to shrink the size of the bus from 128-Bits to 64-Bits, then add the DualBus, which will yield 128-Bits, then the double rate RAM, which would be 256-Bits. Since the 64-Bit Bus is slightly more effecient than a 128-Bit Bus, the performance compensation will be the same between the trade-off of SDR and DDR RAM."

Should we sick the hounds on them for diseminating misinformation? Or let them underestimate the potential?

As yet I have not seen a single site understand the 64bit memory vs. memory bus issue. Amazing!

Mark F.

------------------
    and burped out a movie

and burped out a movie

Comment

HMMMMM. Guess they all think Matrox has been useing 128 bit memory all this time. Cheap B@$t@rds going to 'only' 64 bits on us!!!

I can tell it's getting late. Night all.

Mark F.

------------------
      and burped out a movie

and burped out a movie

Comment

Does anybody have this in cache? Ive been trying all day to get to this site, and keep gettin "try again later" message.

Any new info there? Do they have a real card to test, or is it just a rehash of what we already know?

Thanks for any help

Ali

Comment

ALi,
          Nope he doesn't have a Card, he is just exploring the PR that Matrox released on the G450, that's all...
          It worked for me a while ago... not working for me now either, must have a crappy server and is getting lots of hits... maybe...

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

The article was totally awful. Read Mark F.'s quote from it. To me, it sounded like the author was making things up as he went along, and when you disregarded that crap, there was no more information than what we all already know.

Rob

Comment

Ali,

I saved a copy of the artical, if you still can't get through, let me know were to send it. But it may not be worth it, exept as a laugh.

Mark F.

------------------
              and burped out a movie

and burped out a movie

Comment

Well, got through today. It doesnt seem to be that far off the truth from what I can tell.

Im wondering if the change to DDR is only to give Matrox engineers a little practice in using it, rather than a performance issue. I also assume that fast SGRAM is getting hard to find due to most other graphics companys changing to DDR.

He also fails to mention that this new DDR will be VG ram (or something like that). Its meant to have a lower latency or something. There was a link here somwhere to a site that explained it, but I cant find it.

All we can do is wait and watch

Ali

Comment

Um, lower latency = better performance overall. Turnaround time in the memory core is lowered that way.

Even though I already ordered a 64MB GTS, I hope Matrox continues on the same path as they finally announce/release the G800 (or whatever..). I'm a pretty loyal fan of Big M hardware, and won't hesitate to make the jump back, as long as their hardware is anywhere close to the leaders.

------------------
                  Ace
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

What I really want to see is this- 'Matrox Stuns the Hardware World with the release of the G800!' in the headlines, and a release letter to back it up.

ie.: Better chip performance and features than the GeForce 2 (1GPixel/2GPixel performance range), MORE usuable hardware feature support (T&L that works better than even the latest processor, full support for all bump mapping techniques, etc.), and a memory bus that doesn't limit the processor.

------------------
                    Ace
                    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                    Gainward Ti4600
                    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

That dualbus 512bit thing is an incredible misunderstanding asserted so very confidently by someone who obviously did not care to try to understand anything about this particular technology. I wonder if/how was it possible for Matrox to sanction that. Maybe they did not even read that part, or don't really care about the whole thing.
                      Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X