Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get rid of the Teltext info at the top of the captured AVI's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get rid of the Teltext info at the top of the captured AVI's ?

Hi,

since my last post (...) I better understand TV resolution and overscan ...

Now: In Belgium we have PAL resolution and teletext information, when I capture with the MJPEG encoding (288 or 576 overscan thus) I get some white lines at the top of the picture ;(
    This happens only for TV channels with teletext info and not with the RGB capturing at 640*480 so I understand the withe lines are teletext info.

How can I get rid of them? Any way to capture at a resolution less then 576/288 ?
    Do I have to resize every clip I capture ;(
    Any idea?
    Thx!

PS: the teletext util from Matrox won't let me resize the window to a greater size ;( Any patch?
    Fauc

When going back to TV, you wouldn't have to bother. (Re-encoding in MJPEG, by the way, removes the info at the top I noticed)

If going to the web or to the desktop, chances are you'd crop it into another, more flexible format (like Indeo, Cinepak) anyways.

When playing back to the screen from MJPEG using the overlay, you shouldn't see the lines at all.

My question, then, to you is: Why do you need the lines gone?

Comment

Well when I am going back to TV with DVD max
      I actually see the lines on my TV (in fact momently I am using my old Amiga monitor )
      (did'nt check on my Philips TV but will do so tomorrow...)

More info follows tomorrow
      Fauc

Comment

If you see the VBI (vertical blanking interval) at the top or bottom of your captures there is one way to get out if it also shows on the TV: crop the clips.

This will get rid of it but you won't be able to smart render in MSPro making the render long. Here's the procedure;

1. Load your clips into File/Convert/Video File. In the "Options" go to the cropping tab. Crop whatever number of lines off the top or bottom of the clip you need to get rid of the VBI (usually < 8).

2. Check the "Keep Same Size" box.

3. Render your project in the clips original size and settings.

This will be slow but it will get rid of the VBI artifacts when the clip goes to the TV. YES the image will be slightly stretched, but most times this will amount to less than 2% and not be noticeable.

Sources whose output signal is out of adjustment or weak can cause the VBI to show. It can also happen if a cams battery isn't fully charged at the shoot or if you captured while it was under battery power.

The TV itself can also be a problem. If just a couple of lines show up in the captures most TV's will cover this up as the lines will be in the overscan area. If just a couple of lines show in the capture and still they show on the TV maybe it's time to tweak the TV's vertical height adjustment.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 05 January 2000).]

Comment

Hi,

Here you can find a screenshot of my problem (17K) http://www.multimania.com/fauconng/test.jpg

fluggo: I tried reencoding in MJPEG with virtualdub, but the lines stay there.
          On my Philips 100 HZ TV the VBI info also appears when playing back the AVI not while recording/looking TV through the BOB.
          Before recording I can choose overlay or preview, with overlay no VBI in the PC window , with Preview the lines appears (and framerate lowers). Could I do that for playing back (which prog?).

Drmordid:
          I don't want to crop every clip I capture ;( This would take too much time and disk space (twice as much...).
          As for adjusting the vert. height of the monitor and TV, I would have to do that everywhere I look at my movies (e.g. VHS tape) ;(

Anyone idea how to reduce the capturing size of the Marvel?
          Or any other solution ?

Thx!
          Fauc

Comment

Which teletext tool are you talking about? I thought Matrox would only support CC

Comment

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/teletext/setup.exe

the utility lets you see the european Teletext pages .

But the window in which the teletext info appears is not resizable ;(((
              Fauc

Comment

Artifacting aside I like your subject matter ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

hum ...
                  not sure my english understands you Drmordrid
                  Fauc

Comment

Hmmm...well the re-encode MJPEG trick worked for me...but then again, I'm on NTSC.

Let's stick to the basics of all Matrox cards:

The "preview" mode for capturing is the equivalent of not using any hardware acceleration or processing. What you see is exactly what will be encoded in your captured video.

The "overlay" mode uses the hardware to "sweeten" your video a little bit so that it looks more like the original. This means removing the VBI info & interpolating the scan lines to look nice.

On playback, certain programs (like the Windows Media Player) automatically take advantage of the overlay for display on your monitor. Using the overlay also automatically sends the picture to the TV screen (and it's supposed to be properly stretched such that you shouldn't see any VBI or extras).

The Matrox MJPEG codec is highly intolerant of resolutions that aren't exact multiples. The RGB capturing allows several different resolutions, but then you're forfeiting disk space.

So, just to have that cleared up.

I'd like to see a sample of your video, but for some reason, I can't reach multimania.com.

I'm unfamiliar with PAL, but just to make sure-- every piece of equipment you're using is PAL, your card is set for PAL, etc.?

I'll probably have to stop here...PAL is beyond me. Lotsa luck!

Comment

Damn the "~" in the url was missing ...
                      http://www.multimania.com/~fauconng/test.jpg

PS: your' re right in Windows Media Player (overlay player) I don't see the VBI info, but it appears on the TV tough ;(
                      Fauc

Comment

Damn the "~" in the url was missing ...
                        http://www.multimania.com/~fauconng/test.jpg

PS: your' re right in Windows Media Player (overlay player) I don't see the VBI info, but it appears on the TV though ;(
                        Fauc

Comment

anyone any (new) idea?
                          thx
                          Fauc

Comment

Working...
                          X