To all who are complaining about win2k (and matrox drivers) see this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all who are complaining about win2k (and matrox drivers) see this

Don´t panic , the image is 122k - 20-30 sec in a 56k modem (a bit faster on cable, I guess)
    I was trying to stress the system to the max to see the effect of a new system fan I bought today.
    Here´s what BETA 5.06 for win2k can do. To be honest I never thougth that this would be possible: Rendering OpenGl and D3D at the same time. Surely a bit more of speed would be welcome, but I think Matrox is concentrating in stability first. And doing very well.
    So here we are: Some IE 5.0 windows opened, Outlook express, Word, MBM 4.17, powerstrip, Go!zilla, Zonealarm, the G400 at 150/200 rendering Quake3, Quake2 and Tirtanium D3D 1.90 (all in 32 bit color/z-buffer), the cpu crunching 12 modules of Stability test 1.5. It didn´t crash. Can you say stable? Try this with win 98

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 16 May 2000).]

Stability is definately the way to go - after all what's the use of a fast graphics card if it breaks your system every five minutes!
    What do you want a signature for?

Comment

What's the use of a fast graphics card if you're stuck in 640x480 60hz due to no monitor customizations?

Comment

Hi MindJammer,

If you had a SVGA monitor, with VESA modes you would not be having this problem. Upgrade your monitor away from fixed frequency, and this problem becomes no problem.

And there are utilities such as PowerStrip that can help.

Rags

Comment

I was able to get two Quake 2's going, UT loading but then it became very flakey, loading SoF after that just killed it. My PC promptly rebooted itself.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Impressive!!!!! Nuno!

Comment

Steve, I tried it myself and running Q2 and UT results on a crash, hard-locking the system, but not rebooting.
              But I bet it´s Unreal code fault

Ok, ok, someone report this bug to Matrox, we are unable to run UT and Quake at the same time!

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 17 May 2000).]

Comment

Hey Nuno,
                How'd you get yer Linux desktop to look so much like Win2K?

DS

just kidding..very impressive
                Games Box
                --------------
                Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                ------
                Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                -------------
                Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Damn, DarkSyd, you got me...

I have mixed feeling about linux. I´ve tried to install redhat 5.2 and 6.0 a couple times, learned to do some stuff with it, got the basic learnings about the thing... But I never got it to run stable. Strange thing.

Win2k is a big step ahead for Microsoft. But they are almost getting ready for the step back - windows ME - what a JOKE! They should have both the consumer and business OS based on the NT kernel. They will delay *properly* win32 coding (NT compatible) for at least a year or more.

What I still find more amusing is MS releasing Win2k compatibility patches for *games*... please someone e-mail them to remind that this isn´t a gaming OS!

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 22 May 2000).]

Comment

This thread reminds me of what I did when I tested my oced system with multiple copies of quake 2 (server and three clients).

Closer inspection reveals that quake is actually running in sw mode. Oh well, that's what you get with a pass-thru card and windowed mode. Those were days. The card did run at about 80-90 C without problems. Can't say that about a G400. But the rest sucked...

I think i could try a small 5 on 5 now.
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X