Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone got ACPI working under Win98SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone got ACPI working under Win98SE?

I'm putting together a new system to replace my old primary machine. The motherboard is a Supermicro PIIIDM3 (http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/840/PIIIDM3.htm -- i840 Carmel Chipset).

The board's documentation and the Supermicro website both state that I should enable ACPI if I have Win98SE (which I do), either via running setup with a specific command line parameter or changing a registry setting to enable ACPI detection then using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Both ways detected and added the ACPI device to the system, but the only way I'm seeing it is there is booting to Safe Mode. Otherwise the whole system just locks up right after entering graphics mode, never getting far enough to launch explorer.

I wonder if this is in any relation to the G400 MAX as it is the only card right now in this system. So is there anyone using ACPI with Win98SE and a G400?

I'm installing Win2000 right now and I expect ACPI to work there just fine (well it did on my old ASUS motherboard). Only catch is that we all know how the G400 Win2k drivers love multiprocessor machines. For gaming I'll be still doomed to Win98SE.

Windows 98 SE doesn't support ACPI. Windows 2000, on the other hand, does.

Not sure if Windows Millenium Edition (Me) is going to support ACPI or not.

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Comment

Mr Cold:
      ACPI is supported in Win98, even Hibernate

In order to get ACPI-functionality under win98(SE) it's better to do a clean install, install with " setup /p j "
      /p j will enable ACPI in Win98.

You could also add a string ACPIOption with value 1 in the registry,
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Detect
      Then redetect Hardware, it will find all your hardware again.
      Now you can for example change the function of the power button (Windows would power down smoothly with a touch of the power button now) to standby or Hibernate if your bios would allow it.

With my ASUS Laptop came a program to make a file or a partition in order to activate Hibernation. In Win2000 the OS handles the Hibernation, in Win98 the bios takes over. That's why in the beginning it was rather buggy, but that changed with bios updates. Now I've been running Windows2000 on it for quite some time. Resuming from Hibernation only failed once in that period of time, when I added 128MB to it and resumed Windows
      And with Windows ME, it will support ACPI (and Hibernation is handled by the OS)

I hope this will help you out.

------------------
      Peter Aragon
      Matrox G200, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus P2B 1012, 128Mb, SBLive Full,
      Hauppauge TV-card, HP8100i burner, Pioneer DVD.

Peter Aragon
      Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

FDS

I can't explain the failing of graphics mode other than it probable being a bios problem. Check for an update...

As you said: you got it working with your old Asus mainboard.
        I would say: stick with Asus.
        For me the P2B and P3B-F have proven to be a solid platform for my hardware. (I'm currently waiting for something better and stabler than the 810 and 820 chipset from Asus)

You could also disable ACPI in Windows2000

I read somewhere that when you install windows2000, and when it asks to press F6 to add a controller, you can press F5 and select if you want ACPI or not (I think it is a way to select a different Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL))

------------------
        Peter Aragon
        Matrox G200, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus P2B 1012, 128Mb, SBLive Full,
        Hauppauge TV-card, HP8100i burner, Pioneer DVD.

Peter Aragon
        Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Peter,

Thanks, so it is at least working for someone, even if your card is a G200.

Windows 2000 Server is now up and as I expected is running very well on my Supermicro PIIIDM3 using the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL.

My old ASUS board is a P2B-DS and I never tried using ACPI with it under Win98SE -- it was running ACPI in Win2k though.

The reason I tried enabling ACPI on the Supermicro board is because the printed documentation explicitly mentions that setup /p j command and their website even links to a page at Microsoft detailing how to enable ACPI on an already installed system (that ACPIOption switch).

What happens though on the first restart after enabling ACPI in Win98SE is the lockup right after it enters graphics mode.

I mean why would they document it if it didn't work on their motherboard? That's why I thought it has more to do with the G400 MAX.

I have the latest BIOS installed for both the G400 and the motherboard.

Oh well, this was more of an "it would be cool to have" thing rather than something important. Everything works without ACPI too.

Comment

I am running Win98 SE with a G400 Max and ACPI. I enabled it using the registry setting (didn't want to reinstall). Works perfectly :-)

Comment

Mr. Cold:

Don't know where you're getting your info, but ACPI definitely works in Win98SE.

ACPI will (should) also work in Me.

FDS:

Check in your BIOS for your motherboard and make sure ACPI is enabled (if such a setting exists).

Sure hope you plan on dual booting into Win2k or linux or something, otherwise you've got a second processor just being wasted in 98.

b
              Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

What are recommended ACPI BIOS settings for Win98SE? (Award BIOS)

Anybody?
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                X