Matrox Tweak Util or MGATweak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Tweak Util or MGATweak?

I'm sorry if this is not really the right forum. I wanted to get a few opinions before trying this. And the MGATools forum seems a little dead a the moment...

I've tried the Matrox Tweak Util on my G400 DH 32Mb (bulk version), and I can't get it OC'ed above 115,2%. Is this normal? Also, I wanted to get a few opinions before trying this. Will I get better results using MGATweak? Is there any risk involved with programming the registers of the G400 chip with MGATweak. Could I fry my card? Can I set the registers back to default later?

Many questions...

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Yes, it's probably the memory that maxes out at that speed. Changes that MGATweak makes are not permanent. In my oppinion fooling around with that program is not worth the trouble, you'll never get it much faster than with the matrox utility, if at all.

Comment

I'm using Matrox's tweak to overclock it and MGA to check on the clock. I'm at 18,7% wich translates into 150,43 for the chip and 200,57 for the memory. It boots at 125% but games crash as I start them, the most high and stable I could get (and ran for a few months) was 120%, but I changed to 18,7%, MAX values are enough for now

Comment

Nonsense.
        MGATweak is a far more customizable tweak util. You can get every ounce of performance out of your G400 with it. The matrox tweak util only allows you to up the core and mem speed and won't take you further than a 5-10% speed increase. With MGATweak you can also tweak the multiplier settings, memory timings and some other stuff. I'm running my G400 at 160/190/160 now. With the Matro tweak util that would never have been possible.

And the tweaks are not permanent, but if you read the manual you can find out how to apply the settings every time when windows boots. How much more permanent do you need?

Greets,
        Jorg

------------------
        I am the Jorg, resistance is futile.
        © StarTrek: First Contact

Comment

Working...
        X