G200 and 5.41, 5.52 drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and 5.41, 5.52 drivers

Hey! I figure someone here has to be able to help. I've been forced to use the 5.30 drivers with my Millennium G200. Under Windows 98 or Windows Me, if I use 5.41 or 5.52, I get this constant "stall" of activity. It's not the computer stalling, it's just the display. For example, the mouse will pause for just a second, then continue. If I hold down a key, there will be a slight pause, and then it will resume, BUT the letter which would have appeared had it not paused will appear right after the pause. This makes me believe it's not the entire system pausing. I've tried everything from formatting then installing JUST the video card software, uninstalling then re-installing, re-installing without uninstalling, etc. And nothing works. Aside from downgrading to 5.30, the only way I can stop it is to force quit PDesk (closing it from the SysTray does not work). I can then reopen PDesk, and will have no troubles. It also seems to "wear off" after the computer has been on for a little while. Moreover, there is no disk activity during the pauses. Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

-Mike

The first thing to try is always turn off DMA on your CD-ROM drive. Go to Device Manager:CD-ROM:Properties:Settings and uncheck DMA. Restart and see if that fixes it. This sounds like a problem that is fairly common. If this doesn't fix it, come on back. This will solve some busmastering conflicts and hopefully get you going.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I wish I could say that that worked, but it didn't. Under Win98, where I have set DMA, i turned it off, still no go. Under Win Me, which has DMA off because it defaulted to it, it also didn't work.

-Mike

Comment

What mobo are you using? This is a common problem for S7 users, but does affect some others as well. If you don't need PDesk, keep it from loading on startup (using the Win98 sysinfo tool) and disable the PDkernel by going to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Matrox\PowerDesk\Versi on5\CurrentSettings and changing the data for value "PDEnable" to "00 00 00 00". If you do need PDesk you will need to extract both the 5.30 and 5.52 drivers. Copy the files Pdesk.ex_ and PDkernel.dl_ from the extracted 5.3 folder to the 5.52 folder. Then run the 5.52 setup - you'll have the 5.52 drivers with the 5.3 Pdesk.
        "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

This problems has been going on for months and months.

Do the split driver trick that anid has posted.

I have a 440BX based motherboards and still have the problem.

Matrox wants me to uninstall all my other cards but I'm not willing to. If there weren't any problems w/ 5.30 and previous, but are w/ everything post 5.30, then the problem is w/ Matrox!

I do get a small sound that comes out of my speakers when the pausing occurs. I have a SB PCI64... I think a lot of the others also say they have SB cards (esp. Live! cards)

Anyway, I primarily use Win2K now, so don't care to spend any time troubleshooting.

Comment

By the way, my motherboard is an ASUS P2B, which is 440BX. Also, I have a SBLive! Value, and I don't notice a sound while it pauses.

I did the split driver thing. It worked like a charm. Thanks a million. I do hope Matrox gets around to fixing this issue though.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by Solo177 (edited 21 May 2000).]

Comment

FWIW: yesterday I updated to PD5.55, the
              new BIOS and latest SBlive drivers and
              the "stalling" problem went away.
              I'm happy now!!!

--
              ASUS T2P4, K6-III 400, G200PCI, SBlive
              Still using a G200 PCI...

Comment

Working...