G200 + VIA + Win98se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 + VIA + Win98se

I have a system that has worked nearly flawless with Win 95. I have recently tried to upgrade to Win98se. I have not been able to get it to work with the G200. It runs fine in safe mode or with all acceleration turned off. Is there a list of the installation proceedure in sequence for a complete Windows 98 SE using a VIA chipset MB with the G200??

System:
    FIC VA-503+ 1.2
    G200
    AMD k6-300 (soon to be 500, reason for upgrade)
    96mb pc100 ram
    10gb maxtor HD, 7200rpm
    new bios from FIB JE 1.1537
    VIA 4 in 1 driver set 4.20
    G200 bios was flashed to 2.6 (2.6 TV but should be 2.6 20... don't know why
    Have tried many different drivers.. none work
    PD 541 now.

Hi Howard,

Yep, I used to have that exact combo, and it worked great for me, just follow these simple steps (these are provided there are no other IRQ problems, and you have a solo install of win98, not just win95 upgraded to 98.

Download the 5.30 drivers , download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for the matrox drivers, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the reply...
      I think I tried just what you said.. but not real sure.
      I will try again tomorrow.. and follow your instructions exactly.
      It is a new install... I bought a new hard disk.. and left the old disk disconnected.

That saved my bacon.. this is my wife's system... she sometimes needs to use it for work.(THIS TIME)

After repeated failures.... I disconnected the new drive... put the cables and power back to the old and all was well (did have to redetect audio card).

Win 95 has always worked well with this combo..

Would Windows 98 be more compatible than Windows 98 SECOND EDITION which is what I am trying to make work.. it seems I have read numerous messages about people switching back to the earlier version??

Joel... has had good success with his G200...
      His G200 setup is with the earlier Win98.

I did not find any IRQ conflicts....

Thanks again...

Comment

Hi Howard,

Win98 and Win98SE both worked fine on my rig, when I installed in this fashion. Just make sure you do the steps in order as they are written. If you have no luck, post back, as you probably have other problems which I can probably help you with.

Rags

Comment

I tried exactly what you said....
          Still no luck.
          Everything seemed to be set correctly.
          USB enabled in bios,G200 on high IRQ with no conflicts and 4 in 1 drivers installed.
          No PCI card in next slot, actually I took out all the PCI cards.
          I also found Win 98SE patch for shutdown problem at MICROSOFT.

Finally used the FORMAT C: command and installed 1st version of WIN 98.
          It took a little tweaking but it seems to be working now. I set the CPU up to 500mhz (underclocked because Win95 version 1 will not run on a faster AMD). It seems to be fine but will give it a few days to see if it remains stable.
          I just hope that when I put the other cards back in and install their software that I have no further problems.

This has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had solving a computer related problem.... Thanks for the help.

I have been reading that others are having very similar VIDEO corruption. I hope we or Matrox can simplify the setup compatibility problems.

My PII 400 has run without problems from day 1.

On a side note: Powerdesk now reports my G200 as having bios 2.6-20, which is correct. Before it reported 2.6 TV !! I did not reflash, very wierd.

Comment

I also gave up on 98SE and switched back to 98. I found that Matrox Powerdesk was going into some kind of CPU grabbing loop and grabbing 80%+ cpu every 10 seconds which was enough to create a significant pause in anything that was running. Most frustrating. That was after a totally clean full install of Win98SE on a BX chipset based board (Abit BX6r2).

I also experienced other non-matrox related stability problems and finally gave in and reverted back.

------------------
            Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...
            Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

Yes , there seem to be some incompatibilities in Win98 SE and later video cards.
              I have Win 98 SE successfully installed on a system which has a Shuttle 579 board with the Chipset: VIA VPX97 (VT82C585VP) and a 333mhz AMD processor. I think the big difference here is that there is no AGP and the video is
              a Matrox Millenium I. It is running with zero problems and did as soon as windows was installed and drivers were added.
              I did find this info 2 days ago on the Shuttle site:
              Problem with VIA 4-in-1-Driver v4.20:
              There's a bug in the setup routine of the VIA 4-in-1 driver version 4.20 which includes the VIA IDE busmaster driver version 2.1.47. Even if you mark this driver during The installation it won't be installed properly after reboot. To solve this problem, you must "update" the "VIA IDE Busmaster Controller" driver in the device manager manually. Then you must enter the correct location of the VIA installation files (e.g.
              C:\VIA\WIN9X). Windows will find the "VIA Busmaster Controller" and the corresponding driver will be installed. Please skip the window, which ask for the "VIADSK.CAT". After reboot you can enable or disable the UDMA mode with VIA's "SetDMA" tool. The IDE disk should be listed with its modell name and not
              longer as "Type 47".

This may be what happened on my Win98 SE install??

Comment

Another Win 98 SE issue:

Windows 98SE: Problems with USB/VIA/AMD

Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are plugged in to a computer may not work if the following configuration:

Windows 98 Second Edition (Win98SE)
                AMD-Processor 350MHz or higher (e.g.AMDK6-2, AMD K6-III)
                Mainboard with VIA-Chipset

This behavior occurs because there is a timing-specific problem in the Universal Host Controller driver(Uhcd.sys), which may prevent USB devices from enumerating under specific timing conditions.

Solution: Special Windows 98SE Update
                from Microsoft

This is NOT the AMDK6 patch, it is yet another patch.

[This message has been edited by Howard (edited 12 May 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                X