Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFF

Hi, guys!

You may wonder what RFF stands for. It means "Read the <FONT COLOR="#666666">f...ing</FONT> forum" as an extension of the famous RFM.

May I suggest that, before posting a question, you read what's been going on over, at least, the last couple of weeks?

On this 11 January, there are three independent posts asking the same question, which has been very ably answered under the first one. The same question has also been asked n times per week, over the last year.

If the noble members of this forum, like This Idiot, never seem to lose patience (Hey, Chris, do you have the answer pretyped on your hard disk?), it does not mean that the less noble members, like myself, are so tolerant

Sorry if I sound harsh but ... really...

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

[This message has been edited by Brian Ellis (edited 11 January 2000).]
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Hi Brian,

The thing is, if the answer to your question is already out there, wouldn't you rather find it right away, instead of posting a new question and then waiting for someone to (hopefully) answer it?

Maybe people don't realize they can search? Or maybe they are just too lazy?

Rick
    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Blimey Brian

I don't remember being called "patient" before. No, I frequently have to bite my lip and count to ten. But let's face it, if I insulted everybody then I wouldn't get too many site hits So I'm just rude to a few people who know I don't really mean it - Patrick, Swampmonster (anyone seen her recently ?), DocM, you know.

It's also amazing how many folk have arrived here at the forum without realising that there is a whole siteful of information backing it up (specially since it just took me 2 months to rebuild it all - shame I forgot the "links" page ).

But that (as they say) is life !

Comment

Getting annoying to me, too. (the BOB sound thing?)

Comment

What was the question?

Hitting the <BACK> button on my browser and looking for the topics justs seems like such a bother.

Comment

Chris, if you only knew how often you've reduced me to tears with your rudeness...<sniff>...

Yeah, I've got to agree with Brian on this one. It's really aggravating to see the same damn questions asked for the umpteenth time. The same thing happens at the Fiero forum that I frequent. As Rick has also mentioned, I can only conclude one of two things. First, these people are either too lazy to do their own research, even if it's just simply looking down the posts on the same page. Or... the other possibility is that these people are not only new to the forum, but they are new to internet sites in general. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and therefore on occasion, I've suggested to these people to use the Search function. The problem might be that the Search function is relatively difficult to see and/or appreciate for anyone who has never used it before. I believe it's an invaluable part of any forum. I've also got to say at this point that whatever Ant did to the site several months ago, the Search function here works at hyper-speed. It's great!

We don't want to scare away any brand new forum member who's green as grass by embarrassing and insulting them. Let's instead educate these people and politely direct them to the Search function.

Chris (or Ant), is there any way to make the Search function more prominent on the page, or is that determined solely by the UBB software?

Comment

Ye Gods, Patrick!

Never even knew there was a Search function!

Seriously, a sentence at the top would be sufficient, like "Your question may already have been answered here: please try Search"

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Of course, the problem may not be that the question's been asked before, just that it hasn't been answered.

For example - the black border thing with the Marvel. I've seen a bunch of posts documenting it as a problem, and all the posts say that it's something that Matrox has never fixed. So doing a search will provide you with a host of hits, just no answers.

- Aryko

Comment

Aryko

Sorry. This has been answered umpteen times and a search will certainly reveal it. The fact that the problem has not been resolved does not mean that the question has not been answered. No amount of new posts asking the same question will elicit the answer you are looking for and this should be obvious to anyone spending a few seconds on searching (and probably less time than it takes to type out a new post ).

------------------
                  Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Working...
                  X