Win2k 5.06 driver - thoughts and issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k 5.06 driver - thoughts and issues

Are these drivers only for the Marvel G400 ?

Gurm did you try these on a Marvel or Millenium ?

Someone posted in another thred that these drivers fixed the DVD flipping problem of the 5.04 drivers, was that with MArvel or Millenium ?

------------------
    ---------------------------
    bp6-(2)366@533 celerons, g400 DH 32mb Vanilla, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...

bp6-(2)366@533 celerons, g400 DH 32mb Vanilla, Quantum plus KA 9.1g, sb-live value, Optiquest V95 19", Toshiba DVD 6x, HP i8100 cd-r, etc ...

Ah, yes. Left that stuff out:

- No monitor customizations, no higher refresh rates available. When will this be fixed? The world may never know...

- Yes, the DVD bug is fixed, AFAIK. I have no problems anyway. Haig confirmed this was fixed, so we can presume it was.

- I ran it on my G400 DH Vanilla. No problems. It's simply only been tested with the Marvel, since they wanted a new driver release to coincide with the video tools release. It runs fine on all G400 flavors, unlike the 5.04 drivers which only run on G400 Vanillas.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

mr_spicez: guess what? 5.06 FIXED my dvdmax tv-out flipping problem!!!!

my thoughts:

this driver is very solid so far. i haven't had a crash while playing all my d3d games, playing vcds, and of course all 2d applications YET.

only minor annoying problem i notice so far is that while i was playing UT in this particular map in the murc server. there are 2 long red flags hanging from the one side of the wall near the ctf flag (i am in the red team). i noticed that the flag would get cut diagnally in several places as i move furthar away from them. of course the the gap between the cut gets wider as i move furthar away. i guess this is a known problem. of course that didn't stop me from playing.. i mean hell i am not there to watch the flags all the time :P

anyway.. i wish they can make up their(matrox) mind on which video card their driver is supporting. since it's known that all the g400 cards use the same driver. i guess they start splitting up to which version for what card is because they didn't have the time to test it out on other cards and therefore didn't wanna support them officially.

anyhow, GOOD GOING matrox!!!! i am happy with this driver for now until the new one comes out. but this time, i can wait ALOT more patiently

------------------
      Glarec
      ------
      bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

[This message has been edited by glarec (edited 01 May 2000).]
      Glarec
      ------
      bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Am I the only one running 5.03?

I feel confused?
        Are these developemt drivers?
        5.06????

I cant get any D3D/OGL support.....

hmmmm.....

Still '98 works great!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy:

If D3D and OpenGL don't work for you under Win2k, you have hardware issues. You should post a separate topic here in the hardware forum and ask for help. It is most likely some settings or something that are wrong on your machine.

5.03 is an OK driver is you haven't got SMP. But 5.04 is available on the FTP site (it's certified, and more stable) - and 5.06 is available as a download under drivers for the Marvel G400. It is also more stable than 5.04.

But neither of the new drivers will just magically make your D3D and OpenGL work - you have some other problem.

- Gurm

------------------
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

-sorry!

been asleep for a while. - though a new driver revision came out. Nevermind!

Should I have OGL support with the 5.03?
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy... yes, there are two new revisions out, if you had been listening.

And yes, 5.03 has OpenGL. If you don't have it, you have another issue and should post in here separately. How many more times would you like me to say this?

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Gurm/Glarec

Thanks for the heads up!
                I'll try it once I get home tonight, if the SMP issues and videoflipping problems are solved, I'll be one BIG happy camper.

Only things left will be Monitor Customization, DH features (like Gurm said, wait for SP1), and some SPEED

But if this works as you guys say, I'll be happy.

Now I cant wait for tomorow, DSL KIT is comming in, and I can finaly do the wacky thing... Load balancing a Cable connection and a DSL connection. I know it wont give me more speed, but it will allow me more simultanious downloads without a performance hit.

Anyways, its only for testing since I have the DSL connection free for 1 month.

I know it has nothing to do with matrox, I just wanted to share this.

------------------

Comment

Spicez:

SMP doesn't "work", in that you can't use SMP to play Quake or what have you. But it won't crash your machine just to have two processors, which does yield speedups when playing QUake, since other stuff can go on the second CPU.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Gurm :

thats what I meant

The SMP/Busmastering issues, especially concering UT and other D3D games, would crash HARD in drivers before 5.04.

I had problems with almost every game with Bus mastering enabled before 5.04.
                    i.e. UT, Homeworld, Rage of Mages 2, Starfleet Command, etc...

------------------

Comment

Hey neat! They have support for the G200 as well! I thought this was another G400 only release. I'm going to have to give them a try tonight in case anyone out there cares(there has to be at least one ).

Ian
                      Primary System:
                      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                      Seccondary System:
                      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                      Tertiary system
                      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Don't forget the System Shock 2 / Thief 2 graphics hardware not supported bug -- as noted here:
                        http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000511.html

Comment

OH YEAH!

I forgot that, I got Thief 2 the other day!

(Stoopid me for not checking if it would work first)

Anyways, I cant wait to have a driver that works with the Thief Engine.

I WANT TO PLAY THIEF! hehe

BTW, anyone else noticed that it takes 5 minutes to load a thief 2 game ?? its INCREDIBLY long, what are they loading that takes sooo much time ?

------------------

Comment

Win2k 5.06 driver - thoughts and issues

Ok, so after a hell of a time trying to download it, I finally got and installed this bad boy.

Overall stability: Same or better. 5.04 was really good in this department so it's awfully hard to tell.

2D: Same or better. Again, 5.04 was excellent.

3D: Seems about the same. Could be a frame or two faster, but in the complete absence of any bug fixes I neglected to run benchmarks.

SMP: 5.06 is more tolerant of SMP than 5.04, which is nice. It is also marginally more compatible, which means I can now start up a game of Quake in r_smp=1 mode. I still can't PLAY the game, because all the textures are trashed and it's impossible to see. But I can in fact start it. Heh.

Bugs: Shadow bugs in Q3 are still there. Flickering during OpenGL fades is still there.

And on this note, has anyone noticed that the hella-cool screen saver "Euphoria" is unwatchable with the Win2k drivers? You just get little 1-inch strips of the screen at any given time, all flickery-like. The beginning and end of the cut-scenes in Daikatana are like this as well, so I'm presuming it's some sort of OpenGL fade mode that's horribly broken.

So, my list of bugs in the Win2k drivers is as follows:

1. Monitor customization
                            2. Dual-Head (ostensibly Microsoft's issue for SP1)
                            3. Shadows/Textures in Quake3
                            4. SMP
                            5. Whatever OpenGL issue is stomping Euphoria and Daikatana.
                            6. SPEED, SPEED, SPEED

Ok, I'm done. I hope this wasn't too much of a rant, I just feel that it's useful, once in a while, to quantify exactly where we stand.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Does 5.06 drivers have Monitor Customizations?

Comment

Working...
                              X