Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from the all knowledgeable MURC members...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from the all knowledgeable MURC members...

I got my Athlon system running:

Abit KA7 RK bios (128mb AGP aperture)
    256mb Mushkin PC133 Infineon running at 133MHz
    700MHz Athlon .18 @ 805MHz Alpha HS
    G400 SH vanilla
    Aureal SQ2500 sound card
    AOpen 52x CD-ROM
    Ovislink NIC 10/100
    WD 10gb 5400rpm Caviar (7200 on order)
    win 98SE

Best I can get out of 3dMark 2000 is about 2600 on the default bench. If I clock my G400 to 300mhz with MGATweak I get about 3200.

Does this sound right??

Please give me some advice on optimum setup of this system...

thanks.

amish

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

eYup!

Now just where has Electric been hiding?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've been hiding at Anand's..

I'm sorry, folks.

It's just that my G400 works so well that it never causes me any problems.... heheh.

Oh, also, I've been putting together this system...and going through finals... and changing jobs... etc...

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

You talking registry tweaks or chipset tweaks? The registers for all the Via chipsets are practically identical and they can be modified with some of H. Oda's wonderful software (wpcredit, wpcrset). Granted, it doesn't work as well for graphics, but you can get some decent system boost out of it. How much of a boost depends on the default BIOS settings - if they're already pretty aggresive, you won't get as much. But it's a wonderful way to change those conservative timings you can't access in BIOS.

edit: Oh, yeah, how'd you manage 805MHz with the mem running at 133? Are you using a GFD at 8x multiplier with the 5MHz "free"? Cuz if you bumped the FSB to 115, that mem is running at 148 (using host + pci setting).

------------------
        "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

[This message has been edited by anid (edited 02 May 2000).]
        "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Working...
        X