Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Matrox released G450??

Hello,
    We knew that the Battle of the 3D gods had started. We all know how fast and more fast they can be.
    G450 is just another better fabricated of its predecessor G400 with not much 3D tech added. So I asume that G450 will not be as fast as those new 3D cards or maybe just a little faster than MAX. G450 may not be fast enough for playing games and will not be a great hit on the market.
    Why Matrox still plan for a G450?

I think Ant nailed it on MURC's news page, when G450 was announced:
    This release is purely a chip related, there are no G450 based products announced at this time but further press releases are promised soon detailing the G450 product range. Matrox were keen to point out that the G450 is being primarily targeted as a business product and not as a new gaming solution
    [This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 29 April 2000).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The problem here, at least in part, is that we assume Matrox's core audience are gamers. Not only do I not believe it's the case, I don't believe it even comes close to reality.

Now, I wouldn't be surprized if Matrox felt some pressure, given all the hullaballoo for the GeForce2 and Voodoo5, to release something. At the same time, to assume Matrox has to be as concerned with nVidia's antic as 3dfx must be, is probably folly.

I live in San Francisco, right on top of Silicon Valley, and the city is lousy with IT professionals and dot-com startups. With the exception of CompUSA, just about all the retailers here carry a full line of Matrox products from the G200 on up. The local system builders, and we have zillions of them, all seem to like Matrox products, TNT2's, and ATI boards, and not GeForces.

That's because the vast majority of computer users are not FPS counters. I bet the G450 will be plenty fast when it comes to applications and extremely "easy on the eyes." When you spend a third of your day or more staring at a computer monitor, that's what's important.

For all we know, the G800, or whatever Matrox decides to call it, exists only on paper. If Matrox can eek more life out of their existing technology, and make some money, that's probably what they are going to do.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

This would all be easier to deal with if Micron would release a dual-AGP Master board.

Then we could have our Matrox clarity, and our nVidia/3dfx insane frame rates. But noooo, we have to suffer with multiple systems instead. Dammit. :-)
        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Working...
        X