Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3V4X + PIII550E + G400Max..no luck in TurboGL

Hi,
    I'm really confuse with all the posting here. I've tried all the latest drivers both the PD 5.52, 4-in-1 4.20 and TGL 1.30. Uninstalled and installed PD 5.30 PD 5.41 still No opengl games will work at all...
    What is the proper step to take here!!!!

Please help!!!!!!!

P3V4X G400MAX

My current setup:

- BIOS 1004 beta 1 on the P3V4X (worked with 1003)
    - AGP driver 4.20 - verify by checking the properties, version of file viagart.vxd in the C:\windows\system directory. It should be version 4.00
    - PD 5.30
    - TGL 1.30

Make sure you've a SINGLE monitor and SINGLE vid card. Turn OFF multimonitor, to start out with.

The ICD will be used automatically. To get this all working, I'd stay start with just using the ICD, then work your way up to the TGL.

SoF works fine for me - autodetected the ICD and just went. The same was true for Daikatana. HL is the same, but check the posts in the gaming forum for Kruzin's optimizations for the G400.

In the BIOS:

- Set AGP Apeture to 256MB
    - Enable Fast Writes
    - Force AGP 2x
    - Turn OFF the Video BIOS shadow

Give all that a shot.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 25 April 2000).]
    The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Hi

Its most likely the Graphics Aperture size - set it to 256MB.
      Howevere, note that D3D games are 10-20% faster if this value is set to 64MB (only on this M/B)

ICE - Enabling AGP Fast writes has no effect on my system - is it a limitation of the NON-MAX card ?
      PCILIST still shows that I dont have AGP Fast writes

Comment

Fast Writes made UT happier, it seems, for me.

I'm chucking this board in the corner if I can get the 256MB DIMMs I've got coming in working on the P3B-F at 133 FSB. :-)
        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I'm not much up to the latest VIA based hardware, but fellow-writer Paulcs might be

Check his report on http://www.trainwrecker.com/p3v4x1.htm .

Known issues against unknown isues. I hope this helps you a bit. I also emailed Paul, so I guess he'll be in shortly

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Setting the AGP aperture to 256 MB can result in a severe performance hit. This puts some GeForce and G400 users in a real quandry, as opening the AGP aperture can fix some issues.

I didn't know about this bug when I wrote the review.

I tested it recently. My Quake3 score dropped 15 FPS and my 3DMark2000 score dropped by 700 3DMarks. Something is wrong.

I suggest trying the 5.52 and its ICD. If the ICD works for you, you're in luck. It's just as fast, sometimes faster, than TurboGL. If not, you might have to settle for 5.41's ICD for the time being.

I really like the P3V4X, but it is experiencing some growing pains. I hope to be seeing new drivers from VIA soon.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

TGL didn't really work for me either and I didn't much worry about it because I didn't use it. But, then came SoF.... All I can suggest is that you use the 4.17 VIA drivers that came on the install CD, the latest Matrox drivers and BIOS, you didn't mention what sort of sound card you have which may be another source of problems, again use the latest drives for your sound card. With regard to AGP Apature, Fast Writes, etc, etc. I've found that when running an OGL game (SoF, Quake3, GPL, etc) I had to set my AGP Apature to 256Mb to get the game to run. My Fast Writes is disabled because my G400 is only a SH OEM card and Video Memory Cache mode set to UC. When I run D3D games I have to set my AGP Apature size to 64Mb otherwise the game starts to flicker and eventually my system locks up. Another thing I've found, and it's mainly with SoF, I tried using GLSetup that comes on the CD, initially it didn't solve any problems, but a tip from a friend said to install it again. This second installation did fix most if not all my problems with SoF, I've yet to try it with Quake3, (not a big fan of it) but I'll install it and see what happens. Also, with the installation of GLSetup, GPL (Grand Prix Legends) seems to run much smoother.
              HTH

Marz.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!!!

I've tried installing PD 5.30 before. But maybe I didn't change my Bios setting at that time. But I've followed the instruction IceStorm gave on the bios issues. And now I can run most of the opengl games(haven't tried all, but it should be ok). But I'm only using the default ICD's opengl. I'm still having a hard time running it(tried Quake3) using the turbogl 1.30. Everytime I use the TGL 1.30,, my computer will exit to windows at a 640x480 resolution with the colour and brightness of the screen screw up.
                Do you guys know what might be the problem there?

Anyway, I'll try reinstalling the 4.17 4-in-1 driver again today....

*** I have a sound blaster live value sound card...with the LIVEWARE 3.0 installed(full installation).

Thanks everyone......
                P3V4X G400MAX

Comment

Working...
                X