Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal exception 0E

Hello,

I sometimes have a problem when booting. The system starts. You get the startup logo. Then, almost finished, you can see the cyan background with the mousepointer. Then, it switches to the blue screen giving following error:

Windows

A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:c0013F7A in VXD VMM(01)+00012F7A. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key etc. etc
    * Press CTRL+ALT+DEL etc. etc.

AFter this I do a shutdown and restart the system, which goes allright.
    Has anybody an idea what is causes this? Is it a windows driver that has been corrupted or what? The Micro$oft knowledge base has an entry that Matrox video cards can be responsible and one should update to the latest drivers. I now use PD 5.30.

The problem really started after I converted the C: drive to FAT32. The conversion process went ok but the restart not. I had to restart twice. Then, after a startup, the system sometimes hung with only a cyan background and the mousepointer (which you could not move). I had to reset. Then somebody suggested to boot in safe mode and then boot normally again to generate a new bootlog.txt.
    I did this and the problem changed. The PC no langer blocks, but generates the fatal exception. Yesterday, if even rebooted spontaniously. Windows 98 itself boots ok, because after the reboot it complained about an improper shutdown.

Now, a guy here from our company helpdesk looked at my system spec and said the Matrox G200 is the probable cause. I should install the latest drivers.

What wonders me is that the change from FAT16 to FAT32 could provoke this behaviour. So I decided to ask the real Matrox experts. Should I upgrade to the lastest driver version (PD 5.52) or the latest certified driver version (PD 5.20) or is upgrading from PD 5.30 useless.

TIA

Regards,

Matt
    e-mail:matt.houben@eurocontrol.be

System Spec:

ASUS P2B rev. 1.10 motherboard
    64 MB 100Mhz SD-RAM
    Celeron 400 MHz @ 400 MHz CPU
    Matrox Millennium G200 AGP 8 MB
    Soundblaster Live! with digital I/O
    Quantum Fireball EX 6 GB UDMA/33 HDD (C:, D
    Seagate Barracuda 20 GB UDMA/66 HDD (E:, F:, G
    HP8100i CD-RW 24x/4x/2x
    3.5" FDD (A
    5.25" FDD (B
    HP4100c USB scanner
    All HD partitions FAT32

ASUS P2B rev. 1.10 motherboard | 640 MB 100Mhz CAS 2-2-2 SD-RAM | P!!!-800 MHz @ 800 MHz CPU | Matrox Millennium G200 AGP 8 MB | Soundblaster Live! with digital I/O | Quantum Fireball EX 6 GB UDMA/33 HDD [C,D] | Seagate Barracuda 20 GB UDMA/66 HDD [E,F,G] | HP8100i CD-RW 24x/4x/2x [X] | 3.5" FDD [A]
    | 5.25" FDD [B] | Momenta 56K fax/voice/modem | HP4100c USB scanner | HP LJ-5L printer | OS: Win98: All HD partitions FAT32

Upgrading to the latest drivers might make the problem go away for you, but I'll linger in doubt, as my fatal exception on the G400 read A fatal exception 0E has occured at (some memory address)in VXD VMM(01)+00012FEB. The current application will be terminated. ... And I'm using PD5.52

(some memory address) = I never wrote it down actually

I used a Win9x vxd fixing program. Put it on my homepage, you can download it from there (Thanks Holly, for this file!)

It has repaired that fault I think, as I haven't seen it in a month (knocking wood again)

Jorden.

When I chose to go out
    I always leave the light on
    when I have to stay in,
    you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
    now that I'm living on my own,
    and while they've never been more right,
    can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Geen dank

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks!

I downloaded the batch file. Doing some investigation myself this morning already I found a FAQ about VDX on www.msc.net together with an vxd_fix.exe (self extracting file).
        I suspect it is the same thing. The FAQ explained where the problem comes from.
        I will certainly try it!

Regards,

Matt
        ASUS P2B rev. 1.10 motherboard | 640 MB 100Mhz CAS 2-2-2 SD-RAM | P!!!-800 MHz @ 800 MHz CPU | Matrox Millennium G200 AGP 8 MB | Soundblaster Live! with digital I/O | Quantum Fireball EX 6 GB UDMA/33 HDD [C,D] | Seagate Barracuda 20 GB UDMA/66 HDD [E,F,G] | HP8100i CD-RW 24x/4x/2x [X] | 3.5" FDD [A]
        | 5.25" FDD [B] | Momenta 56K fax/voice/modem | HP4100c USB scanner | HP LJ-5L printer | OS: Win98: All HD partitions FAT32

Comment

Working...
        X