Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I disable Sideband addressing for a Matrox G400 SH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disable Sideband addressing for a Matrox G400 SH?

Hi All:

___I have tried to disable sideband addressing on my Matrox G400 SH using Powerstrip 2.64 with both the 5.25 and 5.52 driver/power desk packages. Every time I click on the box to remove side banding inside of the Powerstrip Diagnostics screen, my system hard locks. I have used Powerstrip 2.64 on this same PC to disable side banding on a CL TNT2 Ultra and a CL DDR GeForce Pro for running at 140 MHz FSB and above. It is the Matrox card and its drivers that are proving to me that this is not as easy as it was for the CL/Nvidia cards. If anyone knows of the direct registry hack to accomplish this task, could you supply me a link to a site with more information? I would hate to have to drop my AGP aperture size down to just 4 MB in the BIOS since I believe that this tweak effects performance more than disabling the sideband addressing on its own. The Matrox driver utilities have AGP regression but not the ability to disable the side band. Currently, I can accomplish a complete cycle of WinTune 98 including running through the OpenGL/Direct 3D tests only about 1/2 the time with this Matrox card running on a 133 MHz FSB/89 MHz AGP frequency. On the Nvidia cards, 133 MHz would lock about the same but once I disabled side banding, I could run both up to 100 MHz AGP and finish all tests w/out a problem using an Intel PIII 500e at 750 MHz and only lose ~ 3% in performance at a given CPU frequency.

___I can run Unreal Tournament in Direct 3D all day long with no lock ups or video corruption with the Matrox G400 at 89 MHz AGP so its not hampering my ability to run games or DVD’s yet. I just want to gain this absolute stability for the next OpenGL app/game or if I decide to push my system with this G400 card a bit higher in the near future.

___My equipment consists of the following: Abit BH6 Ver. 1.1 – 128 MB of PC100 Samsung GH (Runs at 150 MHz at cas3) and 32 MB of PC100 CAS2 Toshiba (Runs at 140 MHz at cas3) – MSI Master Slotket - PIII 600e currently at 800 MHz but will run at 864 MHz with the Nvidia CL’s TNT2 Ultra or the CL’s GeForce Annihilator Pro video cards installed – Matrox G400 SH (300 MHz RAMDAC non-OC’ed) – WD 13 GB 5400 RPM HD – Pioneer 32x/6X CD/DVD-ROM – 3COM/USR ISA 56K/V90 w/ voice #1785 Modem – InWin A500 MT w/ 235 W PS – using both Win98 SE and Win2000 Pro in a dual boot setup.

___If any of you have a quick solution for this minor irritant, please let me know when you get the time to reply.

___Thanks in advance

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
    ___xcel@midwest.idsonline.com
Working...
X